Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

NC Homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hey Y'all,  So I have just read up on what I need to do and the decisions I have to make in order to home school.  I'm sure I will need to read thenm again and again to get familiar with them.  But some questions for you home school moms that have been around for a few years and are settled.

1)  Faith Belief school vs. non-faith belief school.  We are a Christian Home and my children like to ask questions and learn new things and I figure why not incorporate the Bible into our studies.  Do any moms do this at there home, how do you answer or explain things you do not know (I know you can ask your pastor or support team at church) but do you feel it leads you to not be a good teacher if you are not able to answer alot of their questions when you are their teacher??

2) Attendence Records.  Since it states the home school year begins July 1st and ends June 31st, can I hold a year round school as long as I mark attendence for the required days of attendence, I believe I read 180 days??

3)  I have thoughts for activities and classes outside of the house for socialization purposes and "GYM/PE", etc.  (Baseball, joining the Y, Art or Pottery classes 1x monthly, Bounce U)  I have also heard of Co-Ops but not familiar withthem or how to find one in my area or how to locate a local branch of home schoolers.  Any advice??

4)  It likes to have 5 hours instructional time daily, does this sound about right??  What are some schdeules that work in your homes?? 

5)  Subjects.  What needs to be taught daily or does all of it need to be touched on daily??  Do you give your kids "homework" outside of instructional time??

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lifesadream83
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  Welcome and congratulations!

1- Lots of moms include Bible as part of homeschooing. You can just read and pray with them or you can actually get a Bible curriculum.  There are also Christain based curriculum options out there. 

2-There is an attendence record form for NC.  You only have to homeschool 9 consecutive months with reasonable breaks for holidays and vacation according to the law. 180 days is not the law here but it is the general standard and that is what most curriculum cover.

3-Just google coops and your area will find a bunch.

4-There is no law on time in NC just a recommendation by the state.  

5-Typically you would teach Math, Language Arts, History and Science.  Extras include Music, Art, Language, Gym, Computer, Typing, etc.

I suggest you read the actual homeschool law for NC.  It sounds like what you are getting your information from in the NC handbook/ guide which is what the state would like but not the law.  The only requirements in NC are that you maintain medical records, attendence records, to be standardized tested annually in Math and Language Arts and to register with the state via their website that you are homeschooling.  The handbook does provide some useful guidelines but if you have kindergarteners you do NOT want to school them for 5 hours a day.  There are some proposed changes to the law that have not been passed yet.  I have not familiarized myself with them because we are moving at the end of this school year and they will not pass by then.  

Good Luck and Welcome!

kimpulliam
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've homeschooled in nc since 2007.all u have to do is keep attendance record and do a yearly test. File ur notice of intent with dnpe. They recommended 180 days and 5 hours a day.I plan 180 days each yr including workdays, holidays, breaks and field trips. Your homeschool is your own.we start at nine am and are finished most days by one pm.I teach three children 1,8,& 12 grades.math is daily for the younger science health history is twice weekly Bible is daily incorporated into our reading & phonics program. I don't give homework as they have time in class but if they choose not to use time wisely then they have homework. We have Co ops and other activities for "socialization ".I learned during my first yrs of homeschooling that the beauty of homeschooling is that its not a race u can spend as much time as needed on subject.u decide what is important to ur school and for ur child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
We are rather unschooly. Formal instruction for maybe a couple of hours unless we're doing a science lab/experiment. Then she pursues her interests for the rest of the day. I think dd would die of boredom if we did 5 hrs of instruction. State says a minimum of 4.5 hours spent learning. That doesn't mean it has to be textbook/workbook work. Just saying. :-)

My Y has homeschool PE and other activities.

Look on homeschoolclassifieds.com for co-ops. That's where I found ours. If nothing is listed, google search "your city homeschool coop" or county. Try nearby cities, especially large ones. Look on bigtent and meetup.com too.

Homework, for us, is DD and DH doing times tables flash cards for 5-10 minutes in the evening. They make it a game. The only subjects we do every single day is Math and Language Arts. If dd is engrossed in a Science concept, she/we will work on it as often as she wants.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN