Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone frequently use BrainPop?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've been using time4learning as our primary source for math/LA (I supplement). But most of the Science/Geography lessons aren't interactive, and some of the LA lessons aren't either. This is a huge turnoff because DD is largely interested in Science and History/Social Studies.

Does anyone use BrainPop a lot?? I know it has teacher resources, quizzes etc.. The site itself couldn't be a stand-alone curriculum from what it appears, but could the teacher resources make it so??

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I do, I love it. My kids love it. I wouldn't use it as a sole curriculum, but along-side everything else is great. 

Check out some of the free videos they have on there, see what you think.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I don't but I've heard good things.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I keep thinking of getting it, but it's pricey! My kids love the videos. 

MessedUpMama
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM

My kids love BrainPop videos. They are in kindergarten and third grade, but will run in from the other room just to watch a BrainPop. LOL We got apps that lets us watch free videos on BrainPop and BrainPop JR. BrainPop has a free video a day on it. Usually each week has a theme that all the videos will have something to do with. I think BrainPop JR has one video a week. They have videos for everything from Basic math to what to do when you see someone getting bullied, they have history videos, science videos, we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the videos they have. My DS has found many good ones in the free section. I'd like to get a subscription one of these days so we can watch the ones we want when we want to.

mbrowne1
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids also love their videos. They will spend hours watching them if I let them. 

amandae21
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Does your 3rd grader prefer brainpopjr or regular brainpop? My DD is in 3rd as well. I don't mind paying for both sites but not if one is too high or low for her.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

My kids love BrainPop videos. They are in kindergarten and third grade, but will run in from the other room just to watch a BrainPop. LOL We got apps that lets us watch free videos on BrainPop and BrainPop JR. BrainPop has a free video a day on it. Usually each week has a theme that all the videos will have something to do with. I think BrainPop JR has one video a week. They have videos for everything from Basic math to what to do when you see someone getting bullied, they have history videos, science videos, we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the videos they have. My DS has found many good ones in the free section. I'd like to get a subscription one of these days so we can watch the ones we want when we want to.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

He's kind of in between right now. Slowly, moving toward BrainPop and away from BrainPop JR. He would choose BrainPop if he could only have one. Some things will be too mature for a third grader, but there are plenty that are at that level.

Quoting amandae21:

Does your 3rd grader prefer brainpopjr or regular brainpop? My DD is in 3rd as well. I don't mind paying for both sites but not if one is too high or low for her.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

msmed
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I love Brain Pop as a supplement!  My kids got rather bored with it though because apparently they used it in their public school classrooms.  They are older though (5th grade & 7th grade).  As much as they thought it was a little silly, I think it definitely helped them gain greater knowledge on certain topics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN