Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I asked them if they wanted to end the school year early...(and a ? about spring break)

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was calculating our # of days done this year and realized if we worked really hard (finish some books, put in about an hour extra work per day) we could finish our 180 days at the end of April and start summer early. So I asked my kids (5, 7, and 10) if they want to do that, or if they'd rather go at our usual leisurely pace and take until the end of May. They all said take til May! :) Not the answer I expected. But I guess it makes sense. They were concerned about not having anything to do if their schooled friends aren't out of school yet for summer, so there's that. And their summer camps won't start until June. I guess I was the one ready for a nice long break. :)

So - we may take a week off for 'spring break' so I can catch up on some household projects and revamp the last few weeks of our lesson plans. Does anyone else take spring break? I usually don't, but this winter has felt so very long and cold, I am really feeling burned out!

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberstars
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

That is really great.  Make sure to keep up their learning with educational stuff (not necessarily schoolwork) during the summer.  I always see tons of commericals about kids losing half the stuff they know during the summer months when school is getting ready to start back up.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Dragon Eyes and Writings of Suon Wolf

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Kids are always full of surprises, don't you know? lol  :)  

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

We are taking a Spring Break.  I am driving to GA to pick up my friends kids.....they will be here for Easter and the week after.  It just happens to work out that way.  We will be finishing in July....unfortunately that is the way it is.  I hope to get them into a Summer camp this year.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM

We take a long spring break and school year round.  Lightened schedule in the summer.  This spring and summer we are starting a botany study.  I am with your kids.  I think more relaxed is better.  Kids just want to play and relax.  The adult in us wants to just get it over with so we can relax.  My sons like making work into play time.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM
We school all year. We are very relaxed & even more relaxed in the summer months. We just took almost a full month off of formal schooling for my surgery.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yeah for 2 or maybe 3 (if we have the $) weeks this summer they'll be in educational day camps - an art camp, an archaeology camp, and - money permitting - a science camp. The rest of the time I still want to have them spend 20 minutes right after breakfast working on something - a math worksheet, a short science review and project, etc. I need to make a list of things. I know one mom who does a theme every day. I don't think I'm going to be that hardcore about it. ;)

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We don't but I need it! I also have household stuff that is backed up and I am determined to take care of it sooner rather than later.  That is great about your kiddos though & very surprising, mine would be all for an early summer but we are tending to school year-round anyway with a few breaks throughout.  Maybe just take a day or two throughout the week if you can, that might help!

NoraDun
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We are finishing up early. I am hoping to be done by the end of April. We will test early may, and then have off June. We plan on starting next year in July because I am expecting a baby in Oct. I am hoping to work really hard July, August, and be able to kind do a leisurely HS for Sept-Dec and then hit our curriculum hard again in Jan. I am not sure if thats ideal, or even if its a bad idea, but considering we have a new addition on the way, I am hoping it will work out for everyone!!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Since we started school late this year (Oct), our school yr is going through June BUT we also ended up taking a month off in Dec/Jan (our winter break) and we'll be taking another month off in April (our spring break). I'm thinking this year may just be worth schooling all year and taking July off for "summer break". Then again we might be moving in Aug...so I have no clue lol. All I know is my daughter is going to be BUSY this June with swimming and finishing school!!

arctophile
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Because DH is a public school teacher, we match our schedule to his.  That means we take winter break, spring break, fall break, etc.  And, because we have a baby due in 30 days, we have been pushing a little harder so that we can take a week or 2 off when Albrecht arrives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)