Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A Wee Bit About Us and A Question About Standards

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

Greetings to you from my little family in the Wild Western Willamette Valley in Oregon.

My little son, daughter, husband and I are a vineyard-country livin' and lovin' group who enjoys life to the hilt, as home schoolers among the pinot noir, large vegetable and fruit garden, ancient oaks, fir trees and some farm and wild critters.

Passionately experiencing all that this blessed life has to offer and sharing our experiences with friends and family, as well as new friends and family who follow my personal blog: http://www.shelliesconsumption.com/, turns this whole adventure into the deeply fulfilling and daily rewarding life of my dreams.

While we tried our hand (and hearts) at pre-school, a charter school, K12 online public school, we know for certain that we are at our very best when we live and learn together as a family. Whether it's on the road travelling in our vintage Airstream, working at the winery where my husband is a professional winemaker and I the weekend lab tech., or right here in our cozy home, we embrace the gift that is being together, wherever we may be or go.

Our style of "home" education is based mainly on the TJED philosophies of depth and breadth, mentors and classics, learning.

We incorporate the Rosetta Stone language program, right now, with Spanish and French on a daily basis, we also use and are very happy with the ALEX online math system and Math Blasters as well.

With dinner every evening, as a family, we watch and play "Jeopardy" as we simultaneously expand our palates with mama's home made/home grown yummies and our minds with Alex Trebek's Q & A program.

Super fun, this:)

Science, music and art, outdoor playing and working, it's all here all of the time, too and in large doses, but one area of our adventures that we are (I am) feeling not so very happy about are the state required Standards Tests.

How do you all go about arranging for these tests? I would adore any, and welcome all, information about how to get what we need here.

I am delighted to have this group as part of our lives and thank you in advance for talking with me:)

Have a beauty of a day,

Shellie

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group. That's cool that you're using Rosetta Stone, I'm thinking of ordering it to use with my youngest son.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Shellie.

Where and how you order tests largely depends on a couple factors:

What state are you in and what do they accept for tests and homeschoolers? Some states are happy with any standardized test you choose - CAT, Stanford, ITBS, etc; others mandate the type of test you can use.

What kind of test you want - CAT is rather simplified, some would even call it inaccurate, but anyone can administer it; the ITBS is widely accepted and one of the preferred in most states, but does have some regulations (again dependent on your state) as to who can administer it. Some tests/states require you go to a testing center or school to have them adminstered.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Shellie. Welcome to the group!  :) 

Here is a website with some of what you are looking for......

What is OAKS?

As part of our work to improve the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS) - the newly adopted name for the larger Oregon statewide assessment system - Oregon has partnered with American Institutes for Research to create a new online testing system that will assess students' mastery of Oregon content standards. This new OAKS Online system will be available in mathematics, reading/literature, and later in the fall, science and social sciences. It has many features that will make it better for students, teachers, and administrators and the state as a whole. 

Smarter BalancedOregon -- with the other Governing States and Smarter Balanced staff -- are implementing the summative, interim, and formative assessment for mathematics and English language arts beginning in the 2014-2015 school year. Through the 2013-2014 school year Oregon students’ OAKS assessments will continue to be based on the 2003 English Language Arts content standards and 2007/2009 Mathematics content standards. 

Achievement IconAchievement/Performance Standards
These standards define how well students must perform on state assessments.
Test IconAdministration
This section is designed to assist District Test Coordinators and teachers to administer the state assessments.
Reporting IconAssessment Development
In this section, you will find historical background, operational procedures, technical features and specific documents.
Subjects IconSubject Specific Materials
This section links to Sample Tests, scored examples of Classroom Work Samples, and other helpful materials in each subject area.
CommunicationsCommunication Tools and Networks
This section includes weekly newsletters and contacts ready to help you at local and regional levels.

See also: Accountability 

Contacts

amberstars
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Beautiful view.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Dragon Eyes and Writings of Suon Wolf

Shellie45
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Thanks very much, we started with Rosetta Stone when my daughter was 6 and this year when my son was 7...there is a home school option, too.  It's an expensive program, but we are able to make payments this way.  Super happy with the results:)

Shellie45
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Thanks a bunch:)

oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

welcome shellie!!!!

sounds like your in oregon alright! and that view in the picture looks familiar!hahaha

how old are your kids? and what does tjed stand for???

as for the testing stuff heres a place to do it or call and make appt. http://www.ode.state.or.us/teachlearn/specialty/home/hstesterlist.pdf

ive never  tested so i'm not sure how they are, if you have a hs group you can attend near you, ask some questions there!

heres a list of some groups  http://homeschoolclassifieds.com/groups_activities.asp?nm=Oregon&st=OR

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I love the Willamette Valley. :) (We're in So. Oregon)  Looks like others have posted the information you need.  I agree that you should check in with a local homeschool group about that.  Good luck!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You know you're at the Oregon Coast when you're at the beach wearing sweatshirts and long pants.  Love it though!

Quoting oredeb:

sounds like your in oregon alright! and that view in the picture looks familiar!hahaha

Shellie45
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey wonderful ladies:)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I already LOVE it here at Cafe Mom and with these home schooling groups.

TJED is Thomas Jefferson Education.

My boy is eight and my girl just turned twelve.

I'm taking a longer time than usual to respond and review more and more of the shared info here because the weather is so good, I'm garden planning and "doing".  Yahoooooo!  It's my favorite!

Hope you all have a terrific weekend!

Cheers,

Shellie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)