Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

already homeschool son with gca thinking about my daughter too, but im scared!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
My son has aspergers , adhd, fine motor delay, sensory processing disorder and health problems that why i hs him with gca (public cyber academy k12) my daughter is in 5th grade and in focus(gifted) and she is bored to death! They arent challenging her at all! With gca she can go on to the next grade when shes done her work for the grade shes in. The work at your pace would be great, she loves school her grades, math 100, science 100, social studies 97, language arts 99 so she is bored! She has her homework done before she gets home she needs to be challenged. My concern is i have my hands full with my son. Im worried she wont get enough attention from me. Now i spoke to gca they said middle school is pretty independent if the child is smart and wants to work like her. They would share a computer and both have classes to watch/participate in. I talked to a mom today whose children are in gca, and she has a 17yr old who graduated from gca and is a SOPHOMORE IN COLLEGE AT 17!!!! I want that for my daughter she is so smart! She has been telling me for awhile she wants to do gca im just so scared with my son. I also dont know where she can work we only have one desk and i cant only have 1 working at a time bc she will work all day she loves school. It will be so challenging im just scared i dont want to screw up their education but the local shool is not challenging her at all! She also has a very strong personality and i worry she might get a big attitude towards me if there is something she doesnt want to do. I should also mention im a single mom, no boyfriend nothing dad is not in the picture im truly alone with no help and im disabled, lupus attacking my joints, osteoarthritis in my knees 2 herniated discs in my back, my health isnt good. I want to do whats best for my kids which i think is hs with gca im just so worried about the time and attention between the two, oh my son is 6 and in kindergarten . I dont even really know what my question is lol but any comments suggestions?
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

BUMP!

wunderwifey
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds to me like your daughter will do well studying independently. She won't need as much one on one time with actual schoolwork.my only concern is that I've heard K12 takes up a lot of time each day. you'd have to be fairly strict on scheduling to make sure they both get their allotted time in. Nothing says she has to do her non computer work at a desk. It could be the kitchen table or even her bedroom floor. I'd have a very frank discussion with her. Explain how your day goes with your son and what the expectations would be. It may mean she has to help in other areas that she may not do as much right now (cooking, cleaning etc.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Have you talked to her school about moving her up? You can always use the kitchen table for extra work space.
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

All non-computer work can be done anywhere.  You will have to take a good hard look at your day with your son and see where your DD can fit in.  A child with the conditions your son has shouldn't have is routine upset to much or it sets them off (as you know).  Would a laptop be an option?  Just a thought.  She could take that in her room with a set of headphones and be able to work independently.  Good luck with your decision.

jewel80
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions, water was spilled on our laptop so its dead lol we only have the one computer. I dont know why i didnt think about the kitchen table lol i got so overwhelmed with the whole picture i didnt think of simple solutions lol she is already the youngest in her grade so moving her up in brick mortor school worries me. She turned 5 3 weeks before she started kindergarten (now in 5th grade) they wanted me to wait a year to enroll her, i told them test her then tell me to wait! She started that year lol she scored higher than 78% of the other kids!! So i worry about her age. I also think she would catch up and be bored. They also barely do science, art is drawing on paper thats about it, they do no field trips. Thank you all so much!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN