Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newborn and homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just found out recently that I am pregnant with our third child. I am so excited, but I need a little advice. My due date lines up almost exactly with registering my oldest as a homeschooled kindergartener. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I am going to do this. Plus, my middle ds will turn 4 about a month after baby is born and is only doing an hours worth of preschool a day. Public school is not an option, and theoretically, I know I can do school during the babies nap time and such. But realistically, I know I will be exhausted, and I will also be helping my boys adjust to the baby. Not to mention laundry, dishes, making breakfast, lunch and dinner! My head is spinning just thinking about it! So, how do you ladies do school, housework, and new baby? Could really use some ideas lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (11-16):
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I have a four year old, nineteen month old, and Im due in July with number three. 'Kiwi' as weve nicknamed number three, is due dead middle of both older and younger's birthdays-July eighth and August eighth, Im due July twenty-fourth, so I have an idea of what youre going through. Honestly, I worried more with number two coming than I did this time around, I cant say why; the biggest thing is to have them work together whenever possible. My little guy is learning more phonics than he is ABC's thanks to his brother's lessons, and babies are crazy flexible. Plunk him/her on your lap, in a sling, etc, and go to town on work. Also keep in mind that this is homeschool, not public school. Lessons are what you make of them and you dont need to drive yourself into the ground trying to 'keep up' with anyone. Do what works best for your family, even if that means schooling only an hour a day but every single day, then take a week off. (Ive read about people who do a few weeks on, a week off and I pretty much do that myself since I dont have to do any formal stuff yet. It's very comfortable for me and my son doesnt seem to forget things)

Also, if you dont already have your kids helping you with chores, you should seriously consider it. I use Accountable Kids and love it-it makes it so much easier for my son to help out, and even my little guy has started helping-he takes dishes to the table even though he cant even see the top of it :-), he'll hold the dog food bowl while his brother fills it, and he can put his clothes in the hamper by himself. It's awesome seeing how proud they are of themselves when I tell them how helpful theyve been, especially the little one, and the older really enjoys earning tickets to spend on TV shows and Wii time with Daddy. You can do it!

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Congratulations!

My older is 8 and in 3rd grade (Homeschooled).  I just had a new baby in December.  She is two and half months.  Nothing could have prepared me for the reflux this one has, let alone how often she wants to be held.  Most of the time she is in the Moby but sometimes she protests now and I just have to hold her.  We took 6 weeks off of school except for Math and Reading.  It was worth it!  We have slowly been getting back into a grove.  One day a week dd8 brings me each of her books and I create a schedule for the week of what I expect us to do.  (It looks just like the SL schedule except it includes ALL of our work).  I print off two copies.  One for records and the other one that I can write on and spill food on LOL.  We just do what we can when we can.  Sometimes that means we do our read alouds before bed when dad is home to take baby if she does not cooperate.  Sometimes it means we do Math over the weekend.  Many times it means she does her readers in the car on the way to art class or playgroup.  Somehow we get it all done though just with much less structure then I would like.  

Not sure what you are planing to use for curriculum but it should not take much time with a kinder.  I could think of several options that I would do if I were in your shoes.  I would probably combine the two older and do SL P4/5 with K LA and K math with the older.  There is also Moving Beyond the Page PreK program which is actually really good for K too.  You could also add math for the older.  I would look for something where the two olders could work together for History and Science and then each have their own math and LA.  That would be less work for you with a new little one.  

Good luck!

Quoting JoeMax:

Just found out recently that I am pregnant with our third child. I am so excited, but I need a little advice. My due date lines up almost exactly with registering my oldest as a homeschooled kindergartener. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I am going to do this. Plus, my middle ds will turn 4 about a month after baby is born and is only doing an hours worth of preschool a day. Public school is not an option, and theoretically, I know I can do school during the babies nap time and such. But realistically, I know I will be exhausted, and I will also be helping my boys adjust to the baby. Not to mention laundry, dishes, making breakfast, lunch and dinner! My head is spinning just thinking about it! So, how do you ladies do school, housework, and new baby? Could really use some ideas lol.

HarrisonMD
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Since I'm in the same boat as you and DH is in Korea at the moment....I'm very flexible with our schedule...in the beginning when DS was born...I would just set up activities that she liked and could still learn while at the same time, this was an adjustment period for us, so DD was more into the baby and getting Mommy's attention...lol! I didn't worry if we were behind schedule or not...I just go with the flow...Now that DS is almost 10 months...am trying to get into a little bit of structure, but not much...I want them to be kids as much as possible and I enjoy it too!

homeschoolx3
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM

It will be ok, just remember to take some time for yourself. Do you have any extended family that could help?

JoeMax
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Our closest family are an hour away. I know they will help when they can, but can't be here as often as I would like.

Quoting homeschoolx3:

It will be ok, just remember to take some time for yourself. Do you have any extended family that could help?

mommy4ever07
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Just wanted to say that i will be in your shoes in the fall. DS1 will be starting kindergarten and then we have DD (3) DS2 (almost 2) and a new baby due in early November. I'm working on putting stuff together so that thinks hopefully run smoothly in the fall, and will be filling my freezer with meals before the baby comes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)