Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Discipline/Respect

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 2 Replies

I'm having a lot of issues with both of my children, ages 6 and 4.

The 6-year-old, well both actually, will zone out while I'm speaking, sometimes even starting to walk away or speak to someone else while I'm talking. One of the biggest problems I have with this, besides the lack of respect it shows, is that it gets in the way of me teaching her anything.

I finally had enough today and told her I'm only going to speak to her when absolutely necessary for the rest of the day. She's not happy about it, but I don't know what else to do. Maybe the issue is that I just talk to her too much, or maybe she's just tired of my voice, but either way if I don't talk much maybe when I do she'll actually listen.

What do you think about this strategy? Is it cruel? Do you think it's the wrong approach? If so, do you have any suggestions?

There's more, but I've got to get back to my kids before they get too deeply into whatever they're doing.

TIA!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I think it is cruel and unnecessary to withhold communication from your child in order to gain compliance. Six and four year olds aren't known for their awesome attention spans, lol.

Let what you say be meaningful - possibly less, but meaningful.

If you notice them starting to zone out, whisper. I know it sounds odd, but do it - whisper. They have to pay more attention and focus to hear a whisper and are less likely to tune you out.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

hmmm thinking! do you do that same thing to her? zone out while shes talking to you? or walk away while shes talking to you?? if so thats where she getting it! easy fix!hahaha

but if not, hopefully your dh isnt doing it to you! another place she can pick it up at! us parents teach our kids bad habits sometimes!hahahah ( i know this cuz i did that! )

otherwise: you could make her stay there and repeat what you said to her, give her rewards for listening and something else for not listening or walking away, keep reminding her to stand and listen till your finished, sometimes its just a matter of training them to stand there(had to do with some of my kids)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)