Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fractions

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

We are in fractions hell. Simple ones she can do but she has problems when it is large numbers or mixed numbers. Are there any websites with games or something for free she can do?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM

oh yea salem!! theres some neat videos that a mom had on here, i'll try and find them for you!!

SalemWitchChild
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We watched Youtube videos but the examples were pretty simple ones.

Quoting oredeb:

oh yea salem!! theres some neat videos that a mom had on here, i'll try and find them for you!!

oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

i found it, it was nora that posted this first !! these are neat !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o32bnoLZaM

oops i just seen your other post!! awwwwwwwww i'll look for something else!

SalemWitchChild
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Here is an example of one of the problems we missed. Honestly we guessed because neither one of us could come up with an answer and we spent like 20 minutes on each one we wasn't sure of.

____

The whole number needs to be changed into an improper fraction. So 9x8+3=75

We got: 3/7 * 75/9 = 225/63

We could not figure out a number they share in common to reduce.

A.

B.

C.

D.

oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

how old is she???

oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/menus/fractions.htm

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm

Number Games for Kids - Free Math Activities, Interactive Fun Online

Learn about Fractions - Online Math GamesFun Fraction Game for Kids

Learn about fractions with this fun fraction game for kids. Enjoy a number of interactive activities that will help children better understand the concept of fractions.

SalemWitchChild
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

11, 5th grade.

Quoting oredeb:

how old is she???

TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:02 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know if you found the answer yet, but the answer is B - both numbers share 3 as a common factor. If the digits of any number you are working with add up to a multiple of 3 (or in this case, both the numerator and the denominator independently add up to a multiple of 3), the number is divisible by three. 

Multiplying fractions is all about opposites. Think of inversing like, say....opposite day (I know it may seem weird, but this is honestly what worked for my son.). 

So, 

____

Breaks down like this:

3/7 stays the way it is for right now.

8 3/9 becomes 75/9 (The improper fraction)

Our problem is now 3/7 รท 75/9. Well, division is the opposite of multiplication. So, when we divide fractions, we use the opposite or the inverse. The inverse of division is multiplication. We change the division sign to a multiplication sign. When you change the sign, the rest of the problem inverses, too. So, 75/9 flips, and becomes 9/75.

So, we have 3 x 9 on the top (your numerator)

We  have 7 x 75 on the bottom (your denomenator). We multiply straight across. 

3 x 9 = 27.

7 x 75 = 525. 27/525 is a big fraction. Looking at the the numbers in the numerator, 2 and 7, I add them together and get 9 (this is not necessary to dividing by fractions. This is how to tell if your number, independent of the fraction, is divisible by 3). 9 is a multiple of 3, so I know the numerator is divisible by three, at least. Then, I look at the denominator. 5, 2, 5 = 12. Also divisible by 3. So, I know I can reduce, which reduced to 9/175, or B.

I hope that helped? Maybe? I have a couple board games we've used, too, if you would like me to link them? 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It isn't free, but Key to Fractions is awesome!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN