Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One more question for the day....Vocabulary, Spelling,and Reading!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

Any suggestions on how to better my son in this area. He struggles with reading, he is still a very slow reader. But he knows some rediculously hard words, yet struggles with some easier ones. He is a horrible speller, which he gets honestly I always was, still am :( I am struggling with how to help better him in these areas. Any ideas??

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

What grade is he in?  This once described me too, until I learned the right way to pronounce the phonic sounds. 

NoraDun
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Sorry he is 2nd grade!

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think reading and spelling kind of go hand-in-hand but not all the time.  My son can read big words but not know how to spell them later on if asked. Even though he reads on his own we still have a lot of reading together time, I will pick something to read aloud to him & his little brothers, and we will have nightly reading time before bed that is just more for fun than learning. 

My 8 y/o son hates writing but is a great reader and I just started having verbal spelling "pop quizzes", it is just a fun thing but he is learning spelling. I had also made some magnetic letter tiles from a couple of old scrabble games my MIL picked up for us and we'll get a magnetic board (cookie sheet) and I will give him words to spell using those tiles & it makes it more fun.

Depending on how old your son is and what style of homeschool you are doing, you could choose from a lot of different curriculums that focus on this, a friend of mine just started using All About Spelling & has nothing but high praise for it (she bought it for her 8-9 y/o son)!  We are more laid back & eclectic and we have just been doing casual stuff here & there, we play hangman, we play Mad Libs and the other stuff I mentioned above.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this

My daughter who struggles with reading has improved with just using All About Spelling. If they had the higher levels with reading, I'd have her use that too. I'm using it with my 3 yr old right now and he is LOVING it!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

With the vocabulary are you talking oral or reading?  I choose 6 words from the story I read to my boys each week and we draw pics for them, use them in sentences, and I ask clarifying questions about them.  So like last week Cautious was one of my 2nd grader's words.  He wrote it on his "memory ticket" which is one hald for the word and one half for a picture depicting the word.  Then Tuesday on the back of the word half, he wrote a sentence using the word.  On Wednesday I asked him questions like "If a girl runs through a maze as quickly as she can, is she being cautious?"  "If an animal sniffs the cheese on the mouse trap and walks around it, then backs away, is he being cautious?"  I ask 3 questions on WEdnesday, Thursday and Friday.  Since he has written the word, spoken the word, used the word, and answered questions about the word he can usually identify the word later and he "owns" the word.  He knows how to use it.  I often hear him using the old words in sentences weeks after we have finished the lesson.  Since its such a small number of words we work with, he really hears it and uses it a lot during the course of the week.  Finding it in the story I read him and all that.

With spelling, we tackle a rule each week... meanie e (pokes the vowel through one whole consonant and makes it say its name), controlling r, double letter pittfall, shhh....be silent letter, etc.  Then we make a game out of it.  How many can he get right on his board on Monday in 2 minutes.  Then he slowly beats his scores over the course of the week.

My 5 yo who is struggling gets a lot of read together time.  He reads a page (or a paragraph) then I read one.  He feels he is making more progress faster, and getting to cuddle with mommy more.  Plus I get to hear what exactly he is having trouble decoding (r-controlled vowels are his big problem).  So I can pick books to exercise those areas.

NoraDun
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you that is very helpful!! I really like the vocab idea!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

With the vocabulary are you talking oral or reading?  I choose 6 words from the story I read to my boys each week and we draw pics for them, use them in sentences, and I ask clarifying questions about them.  So like last week Cautious was one of my 2nd grader's words.  He wrote it on his "memory ticket" which is one hald for the word and one half for a picture depicting the word.  Then Tuesday on the back of the word half, he wrote a sentence using the word.  On Wednesday I asked him questions like "If a girl runs through a maze as quickly as she can, is she being cautious?"  "If an animal sniffs the cheese on the mouse trap and walks around it, then backs away, is he being cautious?"  I ask 3 questions on WEdnesday, Thursday and Friday.  Since he has written the word, spoken the word, used the word, and answered questions about the word he can usually identify the word later and he "owns" the word.  He knows how to use it.  I often hear him using the old words in sentences weeks after we have finished the lesson.  Since its such a small number of words we work with, he really hears it and uses it a lot during the course of the week.  Finding it in the story I read him and all that.

With spelling, we tackle a rule each week... meanie e (pokes the vowel through one whole consonant and makes it say its name), controlling r, double letter pittfall, shhh....be silent letter, etc.  Then we make a game out of it.  How many can he get right on his board on Monday in 2 minutes.  Then he slowly beats his scores over the course of the week.

My 5 yo who is struggling gets a lot of read together time.  He reads a page (or a paragraph) then I read one.  He feels he is making more progress faster, and getting to cuddle with mommy more.  Plus I get to hear what exactly he is having trouble decoding (r-controlled vowels are his big problem).  So I can pick books to exercise those areas.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor, and do home school workshops helping children learn to read.  My success rate with that has been unusually high, so some college professors are now inviting  me to teach my method to their students.

What I do is very easy....anyone can do it.  Nine times out of then, if a child knows their phonic sounds, but is having trouble reading, it is because they are pronouncing one or more of the following phonic sounds incorrectly.  B,C,D,G,H,J,K,M, P,T,W. .  For example:  if they pronounced H as Hu, and P as Pu, they will sound out the word happy as Hu-a-pu-y.  this makes it not only hard for them to decode words, but it also affects their   spelling.  (See the video I posted above for more information)

As for vocabulary I teach root words, prefixes and suffixes.  It also improves their reading

Quoting NoraDun:

Sorry he is 2nd grade!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)