Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is grade 2 too young??

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 24 Replies

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessica45
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
It's definitely not to young. My DD is in 2nd grade and they do definitions each week. The following day they then use the words in sentences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I do vocabulary with my 2nd grader.  He's also been using the dictionary and thesaurus.  I just do a few words each week. (usually 6)

He reads well above his grade level, but it has really improved his writing!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
4 moms liked this

We don't do definitions as a seperate assignment.  From the time my kids could talk they would ask what something means and I would explain it to them.  I've taught them to use a dictionary, and when we read books, I pick out words I don't think they'd know, ask them, and if they don't I'll either go over it or we'll look it up.  We try to combine as much as we can with subjects instead of having a whole other assignment on just definition memorization, and teach them to tools necessary to look up what something means when they don't know.  Often now when reading a book, they will pick out the words themselves they don't know just out of curiosity, and ask me, or look them up.  And no, 2nd grade isn't to young.  I showed them a dictionary from the first time they would ask about a word.   

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don't think it's too young, I think we underestimate what our kids can do by trying to fit them in 'boxes'.  I say go for it, and if you see it's not working, adjust.  

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I don't think it's too young at all.

Age doesn't determine ability.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I don't think so. Several of the subjects I'm getting for 2nd grade have vocabulary with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

its just part of the learning connorsmom!! some kids love to look up words in the dictionary, if hes one let him at it!!!! and if hes not make it fun!

JocelynsMama1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

deffinitly not too young....thats my favorite part of the Fancy Nancy books they have deffinitions of words all throughout them...I read them to my 4 year od and we talk about the deffinitions

wunderwifey
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Part of reading at any age is comprehension. If he doesn't know the definitions of words he is reading then he is not understanding the story. Once you understand the definitions then the book comes alive in a whole new way. I encourage my girls to ask what something means and to look it up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I think it depends upon the child. If he is reading well and ready to use a dictionary, go ahead!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)