Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Definitely depends on your child. Just because it is too young for one doesn't not mean it can't be perfect for another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It's never too early to give kids definitions. Ive never talked down to my son-hes four and hes known what an animal habitat is for over a year. At the same time, you dont have to do flash cards per se, you can just select the words youre going to do each day and use them in sentences, explain what they mean, and keep using them. I put words in lessons that way all the time and I find it's a lot easier for my son to absorb them than showing him flash cards-conversation holds his attention way better than flash cards but thats just his learning style; hes an auditory learner. Anyway, dont let anyone tell you it's too early to do anything; only you know your child!

firehorse13
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM
My daughter has been doing vocab and definitions like that since about 7 years old. She keeps a notebook just for words she doesn't know. If we read it, she hears it, finds it somewhere, whatever...she writes it down in her notebook and then she looks it up in her dictionary.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I dont see anything wrong with definitions and vocab at 2nd grade

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I think just doing a few a week isn't a bad idea.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

No, not to young.  I am focusing on proper spelling and grammar and my oldest is in 1st grade.  Go for it!!!

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Whenever ds doesn't know what a word means we make him look it up in a dictionary. I don't think it's ever too early to learn new words and their meanings.

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

2nd grade is not too young for vocabulary or dictionary skills.

GELiz
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I think it is a great idea- watch him to look for pressure- if its too much then back off.

snazzylady1
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM

If your child is able to do it then I think it is a great idea.  When I was teaching 2nd grade, I taught them the same thing.  I first taught them how to put words in alphabetical order, then I taught them guide words, finally I taught them how to look words up.  I did it that way because it prevented them from looking at every word on the page.  Teaching your child how to look up words is an excellent way to expand their vocabulary.  Then when they see the words again they will get so excited. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN