Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just trying to figure out this homeschooling thing. Any advice would be welcome.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DS is 15 months and I have already begun working on folders for pre k and kindergarten.There is just so much information that it can be a little overwhelming.

What I have figured out so far is that I am an eclectic relaxed homeschooler. I am more into activities rather than worksheets for younger kids though I plan on having the worksheets available in case that is what works for him (although I do think he is going to end up a kinetic learner like me so the hands on activities will be very important.) I have a general understanding of what he will need to know by the time he is kindergarten. I am also living in a home school friendly state.

What I need help with is any websites that are good for free or cheap lesson plans, curriculum's, activities, etc... I really need a place that tells me exactly what he needs to learn in preschool and kindergarten. What programs you ladies might suggest. And any other advice you may think I need.

Thank you and I apoligize for rambling and bad punctuation tonight but I am exhausted and have to much on my mind to sleep.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

There's some preK and K stuff here, including some info on Common Core standards for K:

Growing Readers

Are you Growing a Reader? Homeschooling your early reader? No need to buy an expensive curriculum to get your child off to a great start at reading. Do you want to avoid tedious, boring worksheets and instead learn through engaging hands on activities and play? Here are a collection of links on teaching your child to read and write for free:

Sight Words or Phonics? How about a balanced approach?

Some background on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching your child to read.

Early Alphabet Learning and the Name Game

How to begin teaching the alphabet and other early literacy skills to your preschooler or Kindergartner.

Kindergarten Sight Words and Early Reading Skills

What you need to know to get started teaching your Kindergartner to read including a look at some of the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten reading.

Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences

After you know about teaching sight words to your Kindergartner you are ready to move on to sentences.

Kindergarten Sight Words Reading Books

Once you start introducing your child to the sight words he is ready for his first emergent-reader book.

Beginning Phonics for Emergent Readers

Once your child knows most of the letters of the alphabet and their sounds he is ready to learn to "sound out" simple words. This post shows you lots of hands on multi-sensory ways to practice early phonics.
Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Thank you :) I will definitely check this out.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

There's some preK and K stuff here, including some info on Common Core standards for K:

Growing Readers

Are you Growing a Reader? Homeschooling your early reader? No need to buy an expensive curriculum to get your child off to a great start at reading. Do you want to avoid tedious, boring worksheets and instead learn through engaging hands on activities and play? Here are a collection of links on teaching your child to read and write for free:

Sight Words or Phonics? How about a balanced approach?

Some background on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching your child to read.

Early Alphabet Learning and the Name Game

How to begin teaching the alphabet and other early literacy skills to your preschooler or Kindergartner.

Kindergarten Sight Words and Early Reading Skills

What you need to know to get started teaching your Kindergartner to read including a look at some of the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten reading.

Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences

After you know about teaching sight words to your Kindergartner you are ready to move on to sentences.

Kindergarten Sight Words Reading Books

Once you start introducing your child to the sight words he is ready for his first emergent-reader book.

Beginning Phonics for Emergent Readers

Once your child knows most of the letters of the alphabet and their sounds he is ready to learn to "sound out" simple words. This post shows you lots of hands on multi-sensory ways to practice early phonics.

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

ABCmouse.com (not free but has some free stuff you can do and it's a good site), starfall.com, abcya.com (I dont remember this one but it's in my Favorites folder so I guess I liked it), dltk-kids.com, everythingpreschool.com, and just go to Google and type in preschool lessons or preschool whatever topic youre looking for. Theres another site I use a lot but I cant find it in my list and cant remember the name. I started gathering books when my son was tiny so keep your eyes open in stores like Ross, Marshalls and so on-I found several curriculum books and sets for a quarter of the price that they cost normally. Check Facebook for homeschooling sites for your area, consider attending a homeschooling conference over the next year or so-I went to my first one last year when my oldest was three and I loved it.

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I was already going to do ABCmouse. They had a lot of good reviews. The only real negative was they keep charging even after you cancel the subscription but I had a chat with my bank and it is an easy fix. I have heard of starfall but haven't looked it up yet. I am definitely planning to attend a conference. The rest I was not aware of. Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a lot of research but it is a ton of information to take in.

Quoting CatFishMom:

ABCmouse.com (not free but has some free stuff you can do and it's a good site), starfall.com, abcya.com (I dont remember this one but it's in my Favorites folder so I guess I liked it), dltk-kids.com, everythingpreschool.com, and just go to Google and type in preschool lessons or preschool whatever topic youre looking for. Theres another site I use a lot but I cant find it in my list and cant remember the name. I started gathering books when my son was tiny so keep your eyes open in stores like Ross, Marshalls and so on-I found several curriculum books and sets for a quarter of the price that they cost normally. Check Facebook for homeschooling sites for your area, consider attending a homeschooling conference over the next year or so-I went to my first one last year when my oldest was three and I loved it.

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I didnt have any problem with them charging after I canceled, just FYI. And yes, believe me, I know! :-) At least youve made your choice early, as I did, and you have plenty of time to begin settling yourself into a mind set before you are legally required to register your child. Oh, and Google homeschooling blogs-I get tons of ideas from those. Look up books on homeschooling, teaching different learning styles, and the types of homeschooling methods. Im eclectic as well but I like the teachings of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick, as well as Montessori for preschool years. That and unschooling...

Quoting Kaya529:

I was already going to do ABCmouse. They had a lot of good reviews. The only real negative was they keep charging even after you cancel the subscription but I had a chat with my bank and it is an easy fix. I have heard of starfall but haven't looked it up yet. I am definitely planning to attend a conference. The rest I was not aware of. Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a lot of research but it is a ton of information to take in.

Quoting CatFishMom:

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I looked up the book and it is just what I needed. Thanks :)

Quoting RockEducation:

Read Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year. She homeschooled her sons for over ten years. It is a wonderful resource. Welcome to the group!

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You are definatel up my alley with your choices of teaching styles. Though I had not previously heard of Ruth Beechick. I kind of think I want to pick out what DS needs to learn but let him decide which way he learns the subject matter.

I have to start things early. If I don't feel prepared when the time comes then I will feel disorganized and self conscious. Kids pick up on that stuff pretty easily. If I feel confident than he will feel more comfortable. Plus we have started tot schooling and it has been on my mind since I need to know what is coming to decide what we really need to be doing now.

Quoting CatFishMom:

I didnt have any problem with them charging after I canceled, just FYI. And yes, believe me, I know! :-) At least youve made your choice early, as I did, and you have plenty of time to begin settling yourself into a mind set before you are legally required to register your child. Oh, and Google homeschooling blogs-I get tons of ideas from those. Look up books on homeschooling, teaching different learning styles, and the types of homeschooling methods. Im eclectic as well but I like the teachings of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick, as well as Montessori for preschool years. That and unschooling...

Quoting Kaya529:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Kat0038
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Two things I did when I began was get involved with other local homeschool families and go to a home school convention. As for curriculum I found things at Walmart, target, Kmart, etc and I went to the library once a week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN