Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have been going back and forth about homeschooling like crazy, and i really need to decide because my dd will be starting kindergarten this fall. i really want to do it but im terrified ill have no clue what im doing or if im doing it right. when fall comes ill have a 5 yr old a 3 yr old and a 6 month old. i looked up info on ohio, i know im supposed to contact the superintendent and im supposed to know bout curriculum?? how do i know what im going to do for that or what she even needs to learn? is it expensive? how do you find time to do al the stuff that needs done in a day? im so lost. i know nothing.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-18):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

In Ohio, the year they will be seven is when they have to be counted. You can give a diploma. Heck, pick a name and have t shirts made up with your *school* name on it. LOL Lots of people do that. For college, you can write a transcript or use an accredited high school course that will make one for you. Or get the GED. Your choice.

Quoting Mrs._Lovett:

do homeschoolers start at 5? or do they have to wait until they're 6? and at the end do they get some kind of diploma? or is it just a GED?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Curriculum Outline for Harrison Morrow- Grade 2     2012/2013

Language Arts

-continue building reading skills

- reading comprehension skills

-recognize main points and morals of reading excerpts

- work on the ability to retell a story

-prefixes and suffixes

- expand spelling and vocabulary through sight words

- Contractions vocabulary

-expanding sentence structure

-proper paragraph structure

-basic letter writing

- utilizing punctuation while reading out loud

- foreshadowing

-recognizing syllables

- writing basic poetry

Math

-multiple digit addition

-multiple digit subtraction

-counting money

-money word problems

-telling time

-telling time word problems

-understanding and utilizing Math words

-basic fractions

-area

-perimeter

-advanced units of measurement

-metric system

-names and spelling of advanced shapes

-mental Math

-logic problems

Science

We will have Units on

-animal classification

-vertebrates and invertebrates

-states of matter

-scientific method

-lab safety

-studying table of elements

-structure of an atom

-anatomy

- our solar system

- rock formation

-Botany

Social Studies

We will have Units on

-Our neighborhood

-Ohio

-Our Country

-Mesopotamia

-American Revolution

-Civil War

-Ancient China

-Maps and Compasses

- Famous Inventors and Inventions

Heath, Physical Education, First Aid, Fire Safety and the Fine Arts are all ongoing, and taught in our daily lives. We, also, use numerous classes to fulfill our education needs.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Here is all I sent in for his material list. (These are all copy /paste. The exact things I sent in. Some of the stuff we have gotten to do and some we haven't. It doesn't matter.)

Material List for Harrison Morrow

-Spectrum Math 2nd Grade

-Spectrum Science 2nd Grade

-Spectrum Math 3rd Grade

-various books based on the our chosen unit of study

-various websites

We have an extensive home library that we utilize in our homeschool, including text books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, college textbooks and over a thousand works of fiction.

Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

that's awesome! thanks for all the information it really helps to clear some things up :) its nice to know that schooling can be just normal everyday things and not 9 hours of sitting and doing workbooks lol. i appreciate the advice :)

Quoting mem82:

Here is all I sent in for his material list. (These are all copy /paste. The exact things I sent in. Some of the stuff we have gotten to do and some we haven't. It doesn't matter.)

-Spectrum Math 2nd Grade

-Spectrum Math 3rd Grade

-various websites

We have an extensive home library that we utilize in our homeschool, including text books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, college textbooks and over a thousand works of fiction.

CafeMom Tickers
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No problem at all. The first year is the scariest. LOLHave you thought about what kind of homeschool you want to do? School at home (very structured) Unschooling, or it's cousin, Child led learning? There are lots of ways do it and it can get overwhelming. Is your hubby on board? That will help a TON.

Quoting Mrs._Lovett:

that's awesome! thanks for all the information it really helps to clear some things up :) its nice to know that schooling can be just normal everyday things and not 9 hours of sitting and doing workbooks lol. i appreciate the advice :)

Quoting mem82:

-Spectrum Math 2nd Grade

-Spectrum Math 3rd Grade

-various websites

Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah it was actually my hubbys idea to begin with and i was the one to "get on board" LOL. i guess i want to do like an eclectic style? i want her to learn the same things that the kids in public school are learning but i dont wanna sit and stare at textbooks all day, so im not sure what you call that.

Quoting mem82:

No problem at all. The first year is the scariest. LOLHave you thought about what kind of homeschool you want to do? School at home (very structured) Unschooling, or it's cousin, Child led learning? There are lots of ways do it and it can get overwhelming. Is your hubby on board? That will help a TON.

Quoting Mrs._Lovett:

Quoting mem82:

-Spectrum Math 2nd Grade

-Spectrum Math 3rd Grade

-various websites

CafeMom Tickers
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm super frugal, so I don't spend more than $100/year to HS my 2 kids combined. Honestly, every one of us experienced similar fears when we first began. But it does get better. Further, there is so little you need do before grade 2. Check out www.time4learning.com and www.letteroftheweek.com they helped me when I first started.

Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

how do you keep the cost so low? :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm super frugal, so I don't spend more than $100/year to HS my 2 kids combined. Honestly, every one of us experienced similar fears when we first began. But it does get better. Further, there is so little you need do before grade 2. Check out www.time4learning.com and www.letteroftheweek.com they helped me when I first started.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)