Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Genius mom right here!!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm such a genius!  Without even thinking, I went into the kids bathroom and poured bleach into an unflushed toilet...who knows how long the urea has been in there breaking down into ammonia.  SO DUMB!!!!!  Luckily I always hold my breath when I pour bleach and run out afterwards because I don't like breathing it in.  However, the bubbling water sparked my curiosity...until my eyes started burning and I realized what was happening.  LOL!  I'm pretty sure I'm fine and only breathed in a very small amount of the toxic fumes.  It just so happens to be a windy day, so I opened the windows and told the kids not to go near that bathroom for awhile.  I wonder how long it will take for the fumes to dissipate...any guesses?  There are no windows in that bathroom  unfortunately.  :( 

Oh, and this turned into a graet impromptu chemistry lesson for the kids.  They are quite interested in learning more about chemical reactions now!  

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

HAHAAH! I've done stuff like that. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I think it would be okay after an hour or so. I'd flush a few more times, too.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

hat is so cool! (The chemistry lesson, I mean)

Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

LOL! i remember once when my ex husband showed up to get me from work at 2am and he had the dog with him and everything. turned out he tried to unclog the garbage disposal with several chemicals at once and created a whole mess of stuff. he opened all the windows and even left the door wide open took the dog to "save her" and came to my work to let the house air out.

norahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I think everyone has done that! Lol. My mom once cleaned the tub with ammonia and bleach ( to get it extra clean) and passed out from the fumes. Dad found her and after she felt better, yelled at her for an hour about making mustard gas in the house and to never do that again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Next time try baking soda & vinegar it will clean & disinfect the toilet with a cool bubble eruption to boot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

lol

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Lol :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Remy11
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
It doesn't take that long to dissipate to answer your question.. Especially in the way you did it. Thankfully the ammonia produces from your body makes a much less harsh reaction than if you poured the 2 chemicals together. And unless they haven't flushed the toilet in a week the amount if ammonia couldn't be enough to do any serious damage. However use still don't want to breath it in! It burns!!
Remy11
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Oh and j deck d the baking soda and vinegar!! Much better all around!! Especially for your pipes!! It'll unclog any nastiness too!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)