Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd grade Language Arts

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm starting to prepare for our first year of homeschooling. I will have a 2nd grader and Kindergartner. I have been able to decide on books for the rest of their subjects but I am lost when it comes it Language Arts. I would love some suggestions if yall happen to have some. 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Replies (11-12):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I'm not sure. Her FLL series is pretty advanced; unless you've done a ton of grammar already, I would recommend starting her at FLL 1.

Quoting .Lovemythree.:

Does the first language lessons have placement tests anywhere? I am looking at different grammar programs for my 2nd grader as well and it is a little hard to tell by the samples what level my daughter would be at.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Phonics programs:

Reading Eggs (online)

Starfall (online)

Memoria Press' Classical Phonics with First Start Reading

Saxon Phonics

MCP Phonics (Modern Curriculum Press)

Catholic Heritage Curriculum's "Little Stories for Little Folks"

*those are only the phonics programs I'm most familiar with*

Then you would need handwriting

If your kindergartner isn't yet writing, I would suggest Memoria Press' Letters and Numbers books. For your second grader, a copy book would be sufficient.

Then you need grammar for your oldest

I would strongly suggest First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Then you need writing for your oldest

Strongly suggest Writing With Ease workbooks (these include memory work, poetry, writing).

Then you need literature for your oldest

For the oldest I would suggest Memoria Press' literature program and guides.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
We are doing 1st this year but I am ordering 2nd. I like how it's all tied in together with the reading. Whatever was introduced in the lesson is practiced in the worksheet and then in the story. It can be slightly redundant if your child picks it up fast but well just skip the lesson and go over the worksheet instead. I've had no complaints from dd about it though, she loves it.
Oh, for spelling, I think sometimes their words can be a little harder but we practice and write them everyday and she does ok with them.

Quoting BramblePatch:

How do you like it? Abeka Languagd 2 Seatwork was my other choice vs Winning with Writing/Growing with Grammar.

Quoting Dawn07:

We are using abeka's language arts. I switched out their writing for a reason for handwriting though.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)