Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is an appropriate age to introduce this?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
  • 13 Replies
When did you discuss sex and reproductive things with your child? Or when do you plan to? What do you plan on using to do this? Books? Would books have pics? Biblical references?
Is the age different between boy and girl?
I just read somewhere that a 6 year old was learning about sex! To me this was nuts. Not sure if they are a homeschooler or not but they are christian and were using a Christian book to teach it.
Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Well, my oldest learned about it in bits and pieces. I think I gave her the actual talk when she was 9,almost 10. I was pregnant with my fourth and she wanted to know how it kept happening. Lol I gave her a complete body book the was blunt but dry. I am glad I did because she got her period at ten years old. Argh!
My oldest son just turned 8 and doesn't even know how babies get out of my belly. Lol completely uninterested.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM

When they ask about babies, but no later than 8 (for bare bones information).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

There's a difference between asking about sex and asking about how our bodies work. :) They're never too young to know how things work, imo, but sex is about more than, er, Tab A and Slot B. That conversation comes a bit later.

I gave DD "the talk" when she was 9, I think, along with the American Girls book, "The Care and Keeping of You," which I highly recommend.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I discussed it with my boys when one asked specific questions. My eldest overheard a tv program where someone didn't know she was pregnant and he didn't understand how that was possible. So I explained the process in scientific terms. My eldest was about 11 and my youngest 8 when they got the explanation.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

When they ask.  My 5 and  7 year old know a lot about it.  As we look through old photo albums they ask questions and i answer them.  How did I get in there, how did I get out were the questions my 5 yo wanted to know, but it made my 7yo think a lot and he had much more in depth questions.  We also have a few adopted children and a couple mixed race children in our family that spurred even more questions.  It's really nice that they now know exactly how we stand on some things and why.  My 4yo could care less yet.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We always raised a lot of animals so it was just part of life. They knew there was male and female of each and knew how the mother conceived.  When they are about 8 or so I explained the woman's menstrual cycle and what that meant.  But they pretty well always knew about reproduction.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I need to do this with DD. Definitely getting 'Care and Keeping of you' to go through with her.
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this
When ever the opportunity presents its self I take full advantage of it because the best time to talk about anything is when the child is the most interested in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Why would it be crazy to explain that to a young child? We teach our children about the rest of God's creations, why would we exclude this one? There is nothing shameful or wrong about the process of procreation or the changes our bodies go through. We make no distinction between learning about our eyes for seeing, ears for hearing, feet for walking, breasts for feeding, etc. It's no different than teaching about the changing of the seasons, or why the stars shine, or why birds build nests. Teaching our kids is an ongoing process that should begin at birth and continue as long as they live with us.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We talk about it when they ask questions and give them answers that are appropriate to their age and their capability of understanding.  And sometimes the two are at different stages.  That makes for even more fun when explaining how things happen, why they happen and when they happen.  And appropriately, where things happen, if it comes to that point.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)