Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do I tell him?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
My son is in K in ps but I'll be homeschooling him next year. Should I let him know before school is out or wait until summer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Go ahead and tell him!  Get him excited about all the fun things you guys will be doing!  I have 1 that will be back homeschooling next year (he is in private school now), and 1 that will continue to homeschool - they have known for months and are so excited.  We are always adding things to our list of things we want to learn about and places we want to go. 

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd go ahead and start preparing him if you know for sure it's something you are going to be doing- he will want to know so he has some closure at the end of the year.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
And try to sign him up in some homeschooling classes over the summer so he can start building a friend base that schools like he does. It will help him feel like he will still see friends after his other friends go back to public.

Quoting gacgbaker:

I'd go ahead and start preparing him if you know for sure it's something you are going to be doing- he will want to know so he has some closure at the end of the year.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Good idea! I'm going to a meeting this week with a homeschool group. I'll ask about that.

Quoting mem82:

And try to sign him up in some homeschooling classes over the summer so he can start building a friend base that schools like he does. It will help him feel like he will still see friends after his other friends go back to public.

Quoting gacgbaker:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I agree, get him on board, maybe he can help choose curricula or plan field trips?

Quoting rsrangel:

Go ahead and tell him!  Get him excited about all the fun things you guys will be doing!  I have 1 that will be back homeschooling next year (he is in private school now), and 1 that will continue to homeschool - they have known for months and are so excited.  We are always adding things to our list of things we want to learn about and places we want to go. 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I brought it up today and he thought it was a great idea, said he'd be the teacher and I could be the bus driver lol. I don't think he is quite grasping the concept...

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree, get him on board, maybe he can help choose curricula or plan field trips?

Quoting rsrangel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Don't tell him now- wait otherwise he may lose his motivation.

oredeb
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

yea tell him now!!!

oldweeza
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I have a 10 year old that I took out of school  this year, and at first he really missed his friends, but is getting used to it. He told his grandmother though that he was going back next year, and he isn't. He is sort of your typical 5th grader, doesn't really like school no matter how you put it. I want to get him on board for next year also, picking out things to do like work, and field trips, but I am scared to bring it up so early.

I know I am the parent  and he has to do what my husband and I feel is best for him, but I am reluctant to tell him. Any ideas for me.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I would tell him now and start preparing him for homeschooling by talking about it with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN