Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any moms have kids in 4H?

Posted by   + Show Post
Tomorrow is our first meeting in the Junior naturalist meeting. We are going to visit a farm with 20 newly born goats. My son is so excited. I have a feeling he is going to be asking to get some goats. One of things I love about homeschooling is all the opportunities we have. My youngest wants to become an inventor and farmer. He absolutely loves plants and animals. Do you have any budding naturalists?
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Replies (11-18):
Koltie6
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
4h is in every county in the US . They offer everything from photography , sewing, cooking, archery, even quiz bowls . Most people think its only for animals but agriculture evolves everything we do each day . If you got dressed this morning and are breakfast you could not have done either without it. Check it out

Quoting mem82:

We aren't really in a place we can do 4H.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We aren't in any 4H programs but I have wanted to get into.  

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We are not in 4h though I have looked at it.  My children were too young last year.  My oldest loves to learn about animals and everything to do with them.  She is the main reason we have a zoo... 2 guinea pigs, 3 frogs, 1 hamster, 1 cat, 1 dog and 2 fish tanks full of fish

Oh and by the time she was 2 she could name most of the animals at the zoo.  We went there all the time then and even when she didnt talk I would read her the names of the different animals and a little about them.  She loved the zoo.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My ds is in 4h and shows sheep and does different projects like cooking, photography, and art. It's a great way for kids to learn parlimentary procedure, and whenever he does a project at home we save it for the 4h fair which gets all the kids in the county together and meet. We raise sheep, chickens, goats, ducks and have horses. Homeschooling allows for so many different learning opportunities and experiences. Next he's going to learn how to make jellies and enter them in the 4h fair.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM
We bled green at my house growing up. My husband however wasn't in 4H so he doesn't really get it.
I want to get them all involved when they get a little older. Our county did lose it's funding a couple years ago though, so hopefully it will still be there when my kids are ready.
My oldest ds(7) is crazy about all things animals!
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I'll be signing ds up next month when he turns 8
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I'll be signing ds up next month when he turns 8
kttycat84
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I had been thinking about signing Luci up for Girl Scouts, but I decided to go with 4H instead. I need to call the coordinator later this week when she's in the office, but I saw this post and thought I'd ask a few of my questions here in case you guys could help.

We live in military housing and have pet restrictions. If she's interested in doing anything beyond a rabbit as she gets older, do they have resources for us to rent/lease barn space somewhere? I have no clue how it would work otherwise.

If I sign her up for 4H here and we move in 2 years will we be able to transfer her membership? That's probably a silly question, I know.

I plan on being involved with her, but I'm unusre what's expected/not expected of me. What's the parents role in 4H?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN