Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you feel that homeschoolers give their children more choices than public school parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Life choices, choices over their curriculum or extracurricular activities

On average, do you think we give more choices or do you think most homeschoolers are more controlling?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I had some friends growing up that I would say their parents gave them less choices and whatnot. Idk how they did their homeschooling, but socially they were the stereotypical homeschool/conservative Christian family. My friends weren't allowed to date until 18, couldn't have jobs unless it was working with family, couldn't even get their DLs until 18! Their parents were definitely controlling. Other than them I don't know many homeschooling parents IRL, the ones I do know aren't as controlling as they were but definitely are more strict than most public school parents I know. DD's still young and already we parent differently than we originally planned, so I can't yet say how controlling we are. Hopefully we won't be too bad.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It depends on the homeschooler.  I have seen some homeschoolers that are very rigid and some in between.  In my family my kids have the choices.  I ask them what they wish to study.  How did you like this?  If something is boring we stop doing it.  If they ask to do something else then they are free to do it.  I ask them about trying new activities or classes.  They don't have to take any classes they don't want to.  I focus more on motivation than anything else.   My main goals are for them to love books and learning.  So far it has worked beautifully they love all the subjects.   They don't complain about what we do instead they just ask to do something else.  I make sure they have a variety of different things to do.  If they get tired of doing something I will go and grab some books and then we will read on my bed together.  I never argue or fight with them to do any school work.  If they are not enjoying it then the whole process has lost its benefit.  They have so much more freedom than I ever had in school.  They love homeschooling and that is how I like it.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Nope. Each family is so different. I know homeschooling parents that give their child no choices what so ever. Their kids are on a strict schedule, told what their faith is and that they will burn in hell if they question it, told what college they will go to, what they will major in, etc. I know a mother who was homeschooled this way and now homeschools her kids this way. She is very proud of it. It is very alien to me. I am not saying it is right or wrong but it is just so different from us.

oredeb
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

welll i can only answer for my kids, they had choices on curr, extra activities, i think the only choice they never had any choice on was homeschooling,

i also think it depends on the family either psing or hsing, about the controlling issure or more choice issue!

Christie1952
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yes!!!

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I agree! In PS the kids have to do whatever they say for that subject. At home if they get it the first day and I know they get it we don't have to continue or we can take a week or a month. I don't have to wait for 18 other students to understand the lesson/subject either.
Quoting ceckyl:

I can't speak for everyone, but for ME ad my family, the big thing that draws me into homeschooling is that I can tailor it to my kids needs and wants. So I feel like there is more choice in homeschooling, and public schools are a one size fits all kind of deal.
lucsch
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I struggle to answer this, as a parent of kids who have been schooled differently. I had one graduate from private school, two from public school, and now I have one in homeschool. It has all worked well.

I think the choices are different, not better or worse. I think I monitor her more and am involved with her work more. If she expresses an interest in something, I try to support that. For example,  I chose Greek and a creative writing program specifically because of her interests.However, I did that with my other kids, too, with outside activities. One kid was in soccer, golf, piano, jazz choir, band and drama.

On a daily level, I think her life is way more laid back and relaxed than her brothers were. I am not a naturally controlling person. I hated being told what to do every minute of the day by my controlling parent, so I've tried to allow more freedom of expression while still teaching my kids life skills.

Like I said, it can all work. I think the outcome of their schooling life has more to do with common parenting than the type of schooling.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

In my family, I make most of the decisions about  basic subjects and curriculum.  My son has input into what projects he does and how we learn about the subjects.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yes, homeschoolers are given more choices in that there is more variety of subjects and more flexibility of time and more options as to how and when  schooling gets done.  There really is no comparison from public schooling to home schooling. That would be like saying that apples can compare to oranges.  

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Yes, on the school front, I think my children get to make a lot more of their own choices. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN