Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science What would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

Last year I planned out our Science Program based on dd's interest which resulted in an Earth and Space/ Astronomy course we are using this year for 3rd Grade.  When I purchased the materials to use I purchased RSO Earth and Space & RSO Chemistry.  So this year RSO Earth and Space is a PART of our curriculum.  I decided to save RSO Chemistry for 5th Grade.  My plan was to build her a 4th Grade Life Science Curriculum.  Which I am still sort of doing.  In fact, I already purchased most of the stuff to do so including RSO Life.  However, we are using Sonlight Core D next year and a friend of mine just gifted me the complete Science D Curriculum books worksheets and kit.  I have been looking through both books and the SL curriculum looks more challenging which makes me lean towards using it.  BUT there are only experiments for the second half of the year and not many at that.  There are a few projects in the "do together activities" that may make up for the lack of "experiments" It also seems to have a worksheet for everyday.   I am afraid that dd may like the RSO option more because she loves "experimenting."  I just wonder if the RSO is advanced enough for her now because when I see it in comparision to SL it looks very light.  I am inquiring for opinions because I am still within my return window.  

Mind you if I go the SL route I would be adding in the butterfly kit, a plant viewer kit and a unit on dinosaurs with 3D Shrinky dinks (I love the irony of studying dinosaurs and making shrinky dinks LOL)

Both options are life science.  

Well, I have been looking through the two for 3 hours now I am going to head to bed and hope there are some great suggestions when I come back in the am! 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
  • You might supplement the experiments.  The Following YouTube channel has lots of science experiments in video format   that you can do with your daughter. Arvind Gupta
  • Science is not one of my strengths.  But by joining a coop, we were able to find a mother that was. 
BramblePatch
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I would look at Mr Qs Life Science. Its an awesome program...and its Free :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

what is rso?

and what is sl??

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

RSO=Real science odyssey by pandia press

SL=Sonlight

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

i have seen people mention it but i like hard copy stuff & i already have both i am just wondering which to use.

Quoting BramblePatch:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Why couldn't you use both? Use one for the main work and the other for a supplemental and or when the main work  gets to be too much or not enough.  

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually may do that!  She loves science so I guess I don't have to worry about overwhelming her here.  Any other subject though and I would not be able too!

Thanks!   I guess I will put our kit together tomorrow for RSO too!

Quoting kirbymom:

Why couldn't you use both? Use one for the main work and the other for a supplemental and or when the main work  gets to be too much or not enough.  

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

This site looks really neat, thanks!

Quoting BramblePatch:

lucsch
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I don't think it matters what you do in science, as long as you do it and have fun with it at this age. I use a mixture of things. We've used SL in the early years and switched to Apologia, which I love. Our main curriculum also has science, and we do that, too!

Christie1952
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM

We live in a rural area so our children did science through our animals. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN