Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

TWO phonics curriculums?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 6 Replies
DS is an amazing reader for his age thanks to Adventures in Phonics from CLP....however, he is getting pretty bored with it as its the same type of worksheet day in and day out. I found an MCP Phonics workbook for 10 cents this weekend at a thrift store. Its for second grade, so I bought it for next year....but looking at it, it really meshes with what he is learning this year with first grade phonics. Do you think it would be detrimental to DS to pull work from both books, using the MCP out of order as a fun supplement? I am usually a stickler for sticking to the curriculum as it is laid out....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I might not be the best to answer this because I seem to never follow the curriculum as it is laid out.  BUT I love to give my boys fun activities from other curricula to give them a break from the worksheets or just to give more practice where they need it.  I say go for it.

oredeb
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

i do that all the time! i use various books, worksheets etc, for all areas of our schooling!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I would say go for it!  I am always using several different places to gather our school work from.  

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Here's just another viewpoint, if he's reading really well, maybe he doesn't need another phonics curriculum. I never used a phonics curriculum, so I really wouldn't know, but could he be ready for more of a language arts type program?
maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Here's just another viewpoint, if he's reading really well, maybe he doesn't need another phonics curriculum. I never used a phonics curriculum, so I really wouldn't know, but could he be ready for more of a language arts type program?

This!

My boys never did any phonics worksheets. Not a single one. They have always been above grade level in reading and simply didn't need it.

What do you need to do to meet DS's needs? That is what I would do!

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM
You may be right. Now to choose an LA program, lol

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)