Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Torn....

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 4 Replies

This may be more of a vent then asking for advice, because I realize this has to be our decision.  But I'm SO confused and torn on whether or not to homeschool next year.  My 6 year old will be homeschooled regardless, because he is labeled ADHD and I refuse medication.  I can work with him at home and handle his behavior much better then any teacher is able to.  But my 8 year old is currently in a private school.  He has had his struggles...mainly that he doesn't like doing school work so he will hide it, refuse to do it, bring it home and sit finishing it all night, etc.  Getting him to actually do it seems like a constant struggle for both teachers and myself.  It's been this way since Kindergarten (and even for me when I kept him home for 1st grade).  So the plan next year was that I would bring him back home again (the reason he is back in school this year is because I have a full-time internship).  But he was just awarded the scholarship to go back to the private school next year, and now I'm completely confused.  Recently we've finally started making a break-through with him following directions and doing his work.  My mom is pushing for him to stay in the private school because she says he needs to continue to realize that he needs to follow directions and do his work when he's told.  I think she knows that once he's back home, I tend to be more relaxed with things, let the kids go at their own pace, skip days to go places or just play, and wander off to follow what the kids want to learn about at times.  I have a difficult time following schedules and prefer "go-with-the-flow".  I sort of agree with her...we've come so far with him finally starting to follow directions at school.  However, I seem to be living in this dream world where I want to be able to stay home, homeschool the kids, and live life to the fullest with them.  But reality is that when I graduate in August, I will have to work 3 days a week and I will be home the other 4 days, so I won't have the chance to be a full-time homeschooling stay-at-home mom.  :(   I just want to make a final long-term decision and get stability for my kids.  Will they be homeschooled, or will they be sent to school?  My poor 8 year old is only in 2nd grade and has already been to 2 different schools and been homeschooled for a year.  And besides my oldest 2, don't even get me started on how confused I am with making the decision on my younger 2!!!!  I'm so torn......

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I say wait until the end of the school year to decide. Ask him what he would like to do, then. If you ask him earlier he might start slacking off in school because he knows he is coming back home. See where you guys are at in June. Is he thriving under a strict enviorment or is he cracking? Look at things like that.

MamaDearie
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any great advice but I just wanted to give you this:

hugs

and say 'Hang in there'! I'm sure it will all come together for you somehow and I'm sure they will be fine with whatever you decide. You obviously have their best interests at heart and having such a loving, concerned mom is going to give them such a sense of stability and worth.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I agree with mem on this. Don't say anything until the end of the school year. This way he won't be distracted about what he might be able to do while at home when homeschooling. 

Quoting mem82:

I say wait until the end of the school year to decide. Ask him what he would like to do, then. If you ask him earlier he might start slacking off in school because he knows he is coming back home. See where you guys are at in June. Is he thriving under a strict enviorment or is he cracking? Look at things like that.

undefined

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I just want to encourage you and let you know that you CAN still homeschool your children if you choose to. I think you could have an awesome 4day(school-week) on your off days.

Regarding your child in private school, have you talked to him to see WHY he is reacting the way he does? Even if he doesn't have a learning disbility like ADHD, maybe he has a different learning style that is not compatible to the private school. I would talk to your children and reflect on this yourself. Don't let anyone (including your mom) dictate what is best for you and your family. You will know the right thing to do. But, know this that you are more than capable!

I work full-time and homeschools, so I know from experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN