Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Yesterday was not good

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

We had to put down our beloved cat Prissy, whom we had for almost 17 years late yesterday afternoon. On top of that, my youngest son couldn't find his Math U See DVD. Schoolwork was basically pointless yesterday. I spent most of the day holding my kitty cat on my lap and loving her until my husband took her out the door. It was horrible.I'm glad she's not suffering anymore though. We gave her a good long happy life with us.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM

hugs

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I'm so sorry. We went through that a few years ago, then again 2 years after that. It is so hard when you have a pet for so long or even a couple years and lose them. Kids get so attached. We have a new dog and my oldest is so afraid of losing him she watches him like a hawk, she freaks when we let him out if we don't watch him even though there is no where he can go. It's sad. It makes me feel better knowing that we did make their life happy.
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm so sorry. We went through that a few years ago, then again 2 years after that. It is so hard when you have a pet for so long or even a couple years and lose them. Kids get so attached. We have a new dog and my oldest is so afraid of losing him she watches him like a hawk, she freaks when we let him out if we don't watch him even though there is no where he can go. It's sad. It makes me feel better knowing that we did make their life happy.

This is the second time we've had to put down a pet. We had to put down our dog Lucy almost 2 years ago. We had her for 8 wonderful years. Pets are truly family. This is so hard.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I'm so sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
We had Tyler our Lab for 12 years, he had cancer and lived almost a year longer than he was suppose to. That was the hardest when we had to take him to the vet. Then we lasted about 2 weeks and we got Daisy. She got hit by a car, we only had her 2 years. We have Max now. He is never out of our site. My oldest is so protective of him. If anything ever happens to him I don't think we will ever get another pet. It's to sad, and hard on the kids, hard on everyone.
Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

This is the second time we've had to put down a pet. We had to put down our dog Lucy almost 2 years ago. We had her for 8 wonderful years. Pets are truly family. This is so hard.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Sorry :(  This past summer my neighbors had to put their dog down.  It was just as hard on my kids as it was on theirs.  My kids grew up playing with their dog.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I am so very very sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Awww >  I am sorry that you had to let a pet go. Those times are truly sad for the whole family.  We've had to go through this several times through the years.  It takes awhile for the kids to understand but eventualy they do. Time takes care of that. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Sorry Yesterday was such a hard day.  Letting a pet go, even if you know it is for the best, is really hard to do.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I'm so sorry. It is a horrible choice to have to make, but you did the kindest thing. This is the kind of experience that is better for kids to go through with loving parents, than to live completely crisis-free and get hit with loss and heartbreak as young adults. And IME, loss of a loved one (with either two or four legs) is easier to do with kids because modeling good coping skills and responsible emotional response can be a distraction from our own constant pain and grief. I know how loved and loving a pet can be, and what an enormous hole in the heart one can leave when they pass. I really am so sorry this happened. You had a lot of great years, though! I hope you feel better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)