Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your kids struggling with right now?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 34 Replies
???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Liam(5) is struggling with counting by 2s. He has 1s, 5s, and 10s but 2s are tough for some reason....making even and odds tough without his number chart. Its funning because he has all his addition facts to 10 and subtraction to 7 memorized but this concept is tough for him.

Molly(4) is still working away in her fine motor skills but often forgets the order to make the parts of her letters in. I am thinking of switching to something where the pencil is not lifted, rather than ball and stick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Catching up on thier school work with K12.  I think they have everything they need figured out but they are hating taking those tests.  It is like pulling teeth and I hate it two.  But we have decided k12 does not work for us anymore so we will be going it on our own next year to see where we are. I am struggling with getting our plan down on paper.

energygirl
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I have been doing phonics....and my daughter (k) is having a hard time when I throw in some sight words (like "eight" and "four" since they don't use the short vowel sounds).    The curriculum I am using isn't adding sight words yet...but I thought if she could learn a few it might help her with her reading.  (the thing is...she is doing fine....I just know the public schools have kids reading earlier so I feel pressured I guess)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Dont feel presured.  I did and forced my oldest to read and it took over a year to get her to enjoy reading.  She now loves it and is flying through everybook we give her but it was a battle to get here.  I had to back off and started buying different books at her level to see which one she liked and it was magic tree house.  But I feel if I had not pushed she would have learned slower but loved reading.

Quoting energygirl:

I have been doing phonics....and my daughter (k) is having a hard time when I throw in some sight words (like "eight" and "four" since they don't use the short vowel sounds).    The curriculum I am using isn't adding sight words yet...but I thought if she could learn a few it might help her with her reading.  (the thing is...she is doing fine....I just know the public schools have kids reading earlier so I feel pressured I guess)

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Getting her to write is still a huge struggle. I backed waaaay off on the writing assignments for a while, but it's time to re-introduce them. I have her doing some 'long answer' type stuff for the last novel we studied, and she's beginning her research paper. The funny thing is, I don't foresee much trouble with the research paper. It's a topic she's interested in, and she loves the research.

Essays, on the other hand, are a nightmare. I don't know about her, but I'm dreading the essay portion of the SATs next year.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My K (4 1/2 yo) is struggling with her writting of numbers.  She is really working hard at it, but it just isn't progressing as quickly as she would like. 

My 1st (7 yo) is struggling with comprehension (I think mostly b/c of her convergence disorder) and her handwritting.  I have almost "fixed" the handwritting issue b/c I keep giving back sloppy work and having her redo it.  We have been doing this for 2 weeks and I have seen DRASTIC improvments in handwritting and slowing down just a bit and taking our time to do it right the first time.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting energygirl:

My son who is now eight has really struggled with reading. I took some time away from phonics and really worked the Dolch Sight Words and his reading has double in a month.8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Missie is not a huge fan of writing, either. Urgh

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Getting her to write is still a huge struggle. I backed waaaay off on the writing assignments for a while, but it's time to re-introduce them. I have her doing some 'long answer' type stuff for the last novel we studied, and she's beginning her research paper. The funny thing is, I don't foresee much trouble with the research paper. It's a topic she's interested in, and she loves the research.

Essays, on the other hand, are a nightmare. I don't know about her, but I'm dreading the essay portion of the SATs next year.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Ds(9) is having difficulty with his handwriting.  He can write neatly when he wants to, but has been very sloppy lately.  So we are focusing on taking your time and printing neatly the first time.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Writing.

Her writing was the deciding factor in us deciding to hold her back, formally, a year this upcoming fall. She should be entering grade 7, but she is very young for her grade (birthday a week or so before the cut off) and she has always struggled with writing. Since she wants to attend a local, very rigorous, Catholic prep for high school, her writing needs to come a long way in being able to be applied across the board, especially in content subjects.

So, although she is very advanced in maths and sciences, we are on a mission to revamp her writing programs and find something that will work well with her dyslexia and in the meantime give her an extra year to mature in her writing before placing her in a brick and mortar setting.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)