Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten Curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

I will be starting Kindergarten this fall and I need curriculum help!  So far we have been "unschooling," so I am looking for something not too structured.  I also need something not too expensive (I would love to get it used!)  We are conservative Christians, and My Father's World has been recommended to me.  What did you use?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
energygirl
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have friends that use My Fathers World and love it....we are very conservative Christians too and we use Sonlight (but it's pricy).....if you have been doing some stuff already...your kid might even be able to start with a 1st grade math rather than K.  If you go to the free site www.abcya.com and check out some of the math activities on there (it has K-5th) it might help you decide on that one.  They have language arts on there too......  When considering price....think about if you are just buying it for one kid...or will use it for more than one (which can justify spending a little bit more).    If you get a book from the library (0r library loan) called What every Kindergardener needs to know ...it may help you decide if you want to continue with the unschooling route...or choose a curriculum as well.

oredeb
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

good morning megara!!

for kindergarten  i dont use store bought curr,

we do a lot of hands on stuff, art and crafts, playing, running, dancing,games

we do phonics is the child is ready , i use index cards and a marker for that, i make up little books

reading, i read to them

bible- we read the stories, learn verses, proverbs,

math- we learn our math with objects, bugs, rocks, pennies, socks, pens etc, cooking,

handwriting- we do lots of painting, pounding nails, drawing, learn how to write name

science- we go out side on nature hikes when we can, bringing a long a drawing pad and camera, we chase down bugs, dig in the garden for worms, watch birds, etc

history- we learn about our area, our family, our address, phone number

music- start on an instrument or 2, learn some songs, poetry, verse etc

art- we do lots of arts and crafts

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Next year my 4 year old and I will be doing k.  I cant afford a curriculum though Sonlight looks awesome. 

We will be working on our alphabet as he doesnt know all the letters, writing his name, Letter sounds, writing numbers and basic addition and subtraction with pictures.  He wll be able to join his older sisters in history and science if he chooses.  We are going to do lots of hands on projects and arts and crafts too. 

I do a Bible study online with my older girls but it says you can use it younger called My Place With Jesus.  The kids love it. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

You really don't need to buy a curriculum for this age.  When children are this age they tend to soak up more learning opportunities. They are like a sponge.  :)  You could do a lot of things over the internet and through your local library or from things you do around the house. You can get some educational videos and sit with your LO watching them and then asking pertinant questions afterward.  You can go on nature walks like oredeb does. You can can get activity books from the local stores and go through them as fast or as slow as your LO wants.  You can make your own lessons just by doing every day things around the house.  :)   

Megara
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

That's what I would really like to do, but I'm afraid I won't teach her everything she needs to know.  I looked up the book What Every Kindergartener Should Know on Amazon and that will help a lot!

I would like to keep unschooling, but I am a little self-conscious.  My best  friend also homeschools, but very structured, she uses the public school curriculum, so I keep hearing from her how I need a curriculum.

Quoting kirbymom:

You really don't need to buy a curriculum for this age.  When children are this age they tend to soak up more learning opportunities. They are like a sponge.  :)  You could do a lot of things over the internet and through your local library or from things you do around the house. You can get some educational videos and sit with your LO watching them and then asking pertinant questions afterward.  You can go on nature walks like oredeb does. You can can get activity books from the local stores and go through them as fast or as slow as your LO wants.  You can make your own lessons just by doing every day things around the house.  :)   

BramblePatch
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Have you looked at Christian Liberty Press?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jody59
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I see you got lots of good info. from others.  My thinking, is if there is ever a time to unschool, it is when they are young. Everything at this time is learning for them. I would say punt the curriculum (unless you need a phonics based reading curr.) The rest can be done  with things you have at home and the library. The only real "teaching" would be how to read. Otherwise, use natural, everyday happenings to foster a love of learning. Read to them a lot!!!!, Nature, music, crafts, cooking......

Jody    Check Out The Writing Course

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I do not use any I go to a $ Store I brought shapes and numbers coloring posters ABC's and word cards for their age groups then I put it all around the house and they had to find it around the house. Then we sing and dance with http://www.havefunteaching.com/

for letters shapes numbers and coloring. Then we walk around outside for science planting seeds finding and a looking for animals looking  them up then drawing human body finding games playing head toes feet ankle operation game counting how many chairs steps movies etc. reading.

Megara
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice!  I think I will quit stressing over curriculum.  One of my other homeschooling friends was describing to me what a child should learn in Kindergarten, and our other (public school curriculum-using) friend said, no, that's what they should learn in preschool.  So I'm just confused!

maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM

This is a link to a collection of Kindergarten reading lessons/activities. They are very hands on and would work well for someone who likes more of an unschooling approach, but still wants to make sure certain bases are covered. In them is information about Kindergarten standards, what a child is supposed to learn in K.

HTH!

http://tadpolestrailsandtrees.blogspot.com/p/growing-readers.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)