Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED HELP!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi, I am homeschooling my daughter and we are finishing the 2nd. half of 8th. grade. She is 13 1/2 yrs. old, the problem I am having is that I don't know what to cover in science for the rest of the year?? She covered quite a bit in school and we have done earth science, we did the layers of earth, what earth is made of, tectonic plates of earth. I was thinking of doing volcanos and atmosphere of earth next but I JUST DON'T KNOW???? I am following the school district, just in case she wants to try going to public high school in the fall. My daughter is getting very bored and we are losing momentum!!! Please Help~ What main points of science should we cover to stay on grade level for testing??? 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

There are typically 3 core sequences for middle school Earth Science: Geology (which it sounds likeyou've covered); Meteorology, Weather and Climate; and Astronomy.

The solar system, energy resources, weather patterns are areas you might want to touch on.

What curriculum did you use?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Have you tried doing any kind of build your own projects type science?  My boys are into science like no-body's business right now and they are building all kinds of things.  My younger son just built a mini capacitor and a battery from pennies.  Maybe your daughter could do the same things.  Just in case you want to check this out here is a link that my sons use....

http://www.instructables.com/

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Have you asked her what type of science SHE is interested in? If she already has an interest, then she will go more in depth in her learning.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Have you asked her what type of science SHE is interested in? If she already has an interest, then she will go more in depth in her learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)