Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Session?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know a several ladies have already planned out their curriculum for next year, but I'm not that forward thinking. I have been thinking about our Summer Session and how I want that to go.

So, for those who school year-round, what are you planning on doing for your Summer Session? What subjects will you teach? How is it different from the rest of the year?

Here are some of my ideas:

Math: I think we will do Geometry. It's a "fun math".

English: Free-style reading with a written summary.

Science: Nature/animal studies

Social Studies: Geography

Psychology/Self-study: I want to do some fun personality tests, etc.

Happy planning!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

During summer, we keep up Math and Cole will stay on his reading because he is just now getting good at it. Everything else tends to be nature focused. We do a lot of hiking and whatnot. We do a lot of reading on the history of our area. Things like that.

MamaDearie
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I think we've decided to just do year-round schooling, following whatever curriucla we are using. My 4 1/2 y/o DD is insatiable when it comes to school work. My DS is finishing 3rd grade in ps before we start homeschooling and he has already said he wants to start homeschooling the day after ps is done- lol. 

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I normally don't have school in the summer but I am thinking that I might do some this year. Won't know for certain until after we move though.  

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

We are going to start in January 2014 for our next "year".  We will have about 5 mos off.  I have a few fun things planned.  I am going to do a unit study on the solar system, and we are going to do a family tree from Genesis in the Bible.  I think my kids would enjoy this.  We are also going to cover reading and comprehension as well as continue with math and writting skills so they don't fall behind.

Jody59
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM

We just keep the regular shcool year going. If they have church or scout camp, thats a break and on family vaction we just do a bit of math and  independent reading. (we sometimes get a beach house for 3 weeks.)

Jody            Check Out The Writing Course

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM
We just keep on keeping on with our normal work. Sometimes we drop the extras and just do the basics, other times we do it all..and even other times we throw it all out the window for a week or two. That is how we are all year round though. We are very relaxed. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Our schedule is very similar.  We are studying different things for science and history though.  We are doing botany this summer.  We have a huge field trip planned.  A whole month long.  We are driving from VA to Montana.  School in the summer helps be more relaxed all year.  Just like all year I am concentrating on creativity, imagination, and curiosity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)