Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Which Subject Comes First?

Posted by   + Show Post

What subject do you teach first?

Do you feel that you need to teach it first?

Why? 

undefined

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I set up workboxes for the kids and they get to choose the order in which they do them, so they choose what they do first.

BramblePatch
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Math!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My daughter is 10 and in 4th grade. She has a stack of assignments she does independently, so I give her the freedom to do those in any order. After she is done, we get together. I usualy discuss history with her first. Math comes along whenever I get a chance to check what she has done, usually while she is doing a project that is directed by me.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM

DD is 15 and pretty much in charge of getting her stuff done in whatever order she prefers. She usually chooses to do Algebra or Chemistry first, then History and English.

DesireMM
by Desire' on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

We do a block schedule so each day is different.

energygirl
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

For K....We were doing Bible, then reading..(since both took place on the couch) then handwriting and math at the table........  but we have relaxed a little on the time school starts.....so we usually do handwriting  at the table (as she is "taking her time/stalling" over breakfast)  then the other subjects.....(we don't do science and history every day....).  For Math we do most of it at the table...but a few days a week I have her do abcya.com activities (counting money etc) on the computer....then when she is done my preschooler works on alphabet and counting on the computer as the rest of us move to the table...

gratefulgal
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Always math. But we use Math U see AND Horizons so I have to break it up. I also add in extra "fun" math activities, too. SO if you go through the whole thing it takes like 2- 2 1/2 hours. UUUGGGGHHHHH. So we start with Horizons math because it's mainly paper and drill, and my son likes that the least. Then I slip in an activity or two while I'm working with the Pre-k'er and then add in Math U see. math U see is good because you can go it as more of an activity. I agree with OP about how GOOD it feels to get "paper math" checked off the list. He seems to be less anxious, too.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
We are block scheduling, so math right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

which ever subject needs the most concentration should come first.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM
That is the same here. :)

Quoting No_Difference:

It changes daily for us. We don't have a routine on what starts first. I go with what will motivate her to get her day going.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)