Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What Homeschoolers Are Missing Out On Lately

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM
BJ
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

What Homeschoolers Are Missing Out On Lately

I ‘unschool’ my two kids. And I can’t lie, sometimes I wonder what they’re missing out on at public school. So I keep my eyes and ears peeled.

Here are just a few things that homeschoolers/unschoolers across the country — like my own kids — have missed out on recently.

CLICK ME FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joann.HS
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Ewe, that's awful.

Apparently, Chicago public schools have passed a law that all students, starting in K, will have some form of sex education.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Joann.HS
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I haven't heard all of the details on the new law, but I do think parents can opt out of it for their child. I would think, those exposed to this sex Ed info, would tell the other students who "missed out" all about it.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM

*sigh*  Talk about a lack of commonsense.

Although I agree that knowledge is power and some sort of evacuation off and onto the school grounds should be common knowledge to the children, I would have to say I don't agree with the approach taken.  Fire drills don't require kids to see and experience a school fire in order to teach them early on fire safety.  I grew up in a state where we did tornado drills, and we did those drills when there weren't tornadoes so that when one did appear out of nowhere we knew where to go and what do do.  A lock-down drill should not require a person staging themselves as a criminal senselessly terrifying school children to stress a point.  Drills can be done through repeated talks, class lessons, and walking the kids when they are told x, y, z is happening to their school to the appropriate place.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Here is something else they will mis out on!

K-12 student database jazzes tech startups, spooks parents

A guard helps a student cross an intersection in Pelham, New York February 8, 2013. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

Sun Mar 3, 2013 7:11am EST

eagerly show off their latest wares.startups(Reuters) - An education technology conference this week in Austin, Texas, will clang with bells and whistles as

But the most influential new product may be the least flashy: a $100 million database built to chart the academic paths of public school students from kindergarten through high school.

In operation just three months, the database already holds files on millions of children identified by name, address and sometimes social security number. Learning disabilities are documented, test scores recorded, attendance noted. In some cases, the database tracks student hobbies, career goals, attitudes toward school - even homework completion.

CLICK ME FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

Joann.HS
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM
It's unfortunate they need to spend that amount of $ on a database w/ that info.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

What an article!  This is impressive!  Makes what is going on a lot more serious indeed.  

oredeb
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

turner oregon, well if your gona go to ps you'd better be prepared!

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I can honestly say that I am GLAD that my kids are missing out.  I wouldn't even want to be a part of that.

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

OH, you've fogotten to mention having their self-esteem ripped to shreds on a daily basis! (I don't miss that!) 

.Lovemythree.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Saying "shooting some b-ball" can get you (a teen) arrested? Wow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)