Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

At what age did you start "school"

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

My baby is 19 months, I was thinking of starting some stuff in the fall.

Just like 45 min or something every morning.  Just a little bit that I had planned out.  And still do all the playgroup stuff I am getting into

Any suggestions? What I should do or how I should start getting my feet wet

Thanks! :)

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I don't start formal learning until Kindergarten age (5 1/2 or 6) but I always did plenty of informal learning and games. Crafts and art projects are good for the younger set, too. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I would keep it informal for a a few more years & if your child is a very physical child maybe even longer because kids that can't sit still don't do well with conventional learning at young ages.

rachel_2010
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I understand what you guys are saying.  I guess I meant that my scheduled time would be more for me, to make sure I sit down with him and colour, read, play blocks etc, every day. 

I've noticed now that is in in the older play group in our community that he has a more difficult time with their schedule, as apposed to him being in charge of what to play with/do.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting rachel_2010:

I understand what you guys are saying.  I guess I meant that my scheduled time would be more for me, to make sure I sit down with him and colour, read, play blocks etc, every day. 

I've noticed now that is in in the older play group in our community that he has a more difficult time with their schedule, as apposed to him being in charge of what to play with/do.

That is normal for all children, If you can let go & let him be the leader you will be amazed at the things he will want to do all on his own.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Birth. I know it sounds silly to a beginner but you will understand after doing this for a bit. We did classes at the library, play time, story time, park, etc. It all counts. My son is four now and learns the same way due to his autism. He speaks two languages, knows his letters and numbers, colors, and is learning to read. He is learning science, art, language, writing, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

We dont do real school till about 4 or 5.  But my youngest has always been in the classroom with us. 

She loves to "do" worksheets.  So she gets worksheets while the other kids do school work.  

She also does circle time which is about 15 min.  We go over Weather, the Calendar, and the Pledge.  We sing songs and they take turns answering and she joins right in.

She is welcome to join us in any lesson she wants but other than circle time I do not require her to do any work at all she is still to young. 

My son who just turned 4 has the same rules though I do have him do worksheets and read instructions.

Next year he will be working more on phonics and the alphabet and be taught more though we will work at his pace.  He will probably have a 15 min lesson each day after circle time.  I am not going to push but if he wants he can join the girls in science and history.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
It was always gradual for us. It started with me reading, going out on nature walks and discovering the world around. Then we added games with numbers and letters, lots of field trips. Now we are practicinf some writing, math problems, learninf through songs and hand motions, still do games, field trips, readibg of course.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I started when my children was born I read to then song ABC's to them sing 123's talk to then find shapes song.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I have always taught my children so that by the time they were Kindergarten age they were able to read, write and do basic arithmetic.  They were not "schooled" until they were school age and could legally be considered schooled, before that it's just them being taught by a very involved parent.

oredeb
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

good idea rachel training yourself!!!

coloring, reading, playing is a great idea!!!! ;

Quoting rachel_2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)