Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is 5 (bday last week) and can spell basic words.  I think it's mostly from having them memorized.  We work on sounding out letters and putting them together but I feel like I could be doing more.  She loves books, we've read daily since she was an infant (I love books too!) and I know she wants to learn to read on her own.  I'm just stuck on where to begin.  What advice can you give me on teaching her to read?

husband and our girls graphics

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Replies (21-21):
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My youngest learned her letters sound from Letter Factory at 18 mos.  She is just in LOVE with Tad.  Once she learned all of those she was trying to read.  She would sound out EVERY letter she saw on a sign.  When she was a little older (3 1/2) I started teaching her to blen a consonant with a vowel (ta, te, ti, to, tu).  Once she figure that out we then added another letter to the end make a word.  She fully grasped the concept last summer and just took off with her reading.  This worked for us.  Just remember that not every child learns the same way, but they ALL eventually learn to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)