Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My daughter is 5 (bday last week) and can spell basic words.  I think it's mostly from having them memorized.  We work on sounding out letters and putting them together but I feel like I could be doing more.  She loves books, we've read daily since she was an infant (I love books too!) and I know she wants to learn to read on her own.  I'm just stuck on where to begin.  What advice can you give me on teaching her to read?

husband and our girls graphics

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Growing Readers

Are you Growing a Reader? Homeschooling your early reader? No need to buy an expensive curriculum to get your child off to a great start at reading. Do you want to avoid tedious, boring worksheets and instead learn through engaging hands on activities and play? Here are a collection of links on teaching your child to read and write for free:

Sight Words or Phonics? How about a balanced approach?

Some background on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching your child to read.

Early Alphabet Learning and the Name Game

How to begin teaching the alphabet and other early literacy skills to your preschooler or Kindergartner.

Kindergarten Sight Words and Early Reading Skills

What you need to know to get started teaching your Kindergartner to read including a look at some of the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten reading.

Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences

After you know about teaching sight words to your Kindergartner you are ready to move on to sentences.

Kindergarten Sight Words Reading Books

Once you start introducing your child to the sight words he is ready for his first emergent-reader book.

Beginning Phonics for Emergent Readers

Once your child knows most of the letters of the alphabet and their sounds he is ready to learn to "sound out" simple CVC words. This post shows you lots of hands on multi-sensory ways to practice early phonics.
JocelynsMama1
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

my daughter just turned 4 and shes knows all her sounds but was having trouble with blending the sounds to make a word and had no desire to read beause it was hard for her...last week we started day 172 of easy peasy all in one homeschool (google it and it will come right up) and shes doing great! and is so excited to read every day now...its alot of rote memorization but teaches them to sound it out at the same time...she now can sound words out and blend the sounds on here own where she couldnt do that before

Crowsnest5
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM

We used Saxon Phonics...it teaches the sounds then you turn it around to spell. Excellent program! Our 11th grader used it all the way down (4 kids ) to our now 1st grader~ The only problem we had was finding a spelling program after 2nd grade that would be comparable at their spelling level.

MamaDearie
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

We LOVE Alpha Phonics. I feel like I could do a commercial for them - lol. We will be using CLE's Learning to Read program as well as possibly A Reason for Guided Reading when we get to the next step.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersDaisypath Christmas tickersDaisypath Valentines tickers
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

It depends on what makes since to you and your child.  Hooked on Phonics I hated because I could not teach it, to me it was backwards and made no sense, but we loved sing spell read and write.  It made more sense to me and I could teach it.  But it does depend on what you like.

Christie1952
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Get a phonics program for her & she will be reading very soon!

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I read to my kids every day & at least two books at bedtime. Every few pages, I use my finger to follow the words. I would stop on a word and sound it out...
Only once a day I would write a simple word & sound it out slowly & have my just-turned-4yo to tell me what I just "read". There was NO pressure on him, it was quick & "fun"...
Next thing I know, he's trying hard to read a Curious George book. So I sat with him & helped him sound out things... I was doing most of the sounding out, so he could hear it. (my son is the kind of kid to quit if he thinks anything is "too hard", so I tried to limit pressure on everything related to reading & he just absorbed all of it in no time) Didn't take too long after that... He was reading on his own just a few months after turning 4.
MammaG08
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Phonics instruction is great.  You might also try teaching her some sight words, since she already has some memorized. 

oredeb
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

all about reading is a good program if your looking for one

SallyStanton
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Hi there, I wanted to share this neat little publishing company that I discovered that publishes Children's educational books. They enter your child into a fantasy world while at the same time teaching them about history via ebooks. I thought it was a neat idea and wanted to share. You can sign-up for their newsletter here: www.zoozil.com "

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)