Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a Journal Be Private ?

Posted by   + Show Post

New to homeschooling, less than a month, and up until today I tried to similate a classroom. Boring.. But the good thing is I have started to discover what my 10 year old likes and what he doesn't like. For now we are foregoing the text book routine, except math, and we are going to read and explore and watch videos. History channel is awesome !

Well with that being said, I still feel like he needs to practice writing, and learn new vocabulary so I thought we would both start journaling. What can I do to encourage him to write in his journal ? Every day? a Few Times a Week ? And what about me being able to read what he has written ? He is 10, and even though drawing pictures and making up songs is awesome, I don't want his journal to be all about just that.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas please. Thanks

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (11-12):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I would let him write about whatever he wishes.  It is common while writing especially young children to write exclussively in one area for a while.  Let him know that you are interested in reading what he has written.  I think when it comes  to writing research is the most important.  By research I mean reading.  The more a child reads the better writer he will become.  Do you read to him?  Make sure you keep reading books above his reading level to him.  Make them fun books that he is interested in.  My 10 year old has just started his own blog and my 9 year old writes and draws comic books.  Here is an article I found very helpful.  http://patriciazaballos.com/2012/05/31/how-do-kids-really-learn-to-write-2-0/

My boys have top secret journals and ones they beg me to read. 

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My girls write in their journal every morning. Just about what they have done or a certain topic they pick to write about. My 6 year old has to do at least a half a page and my 10 year old has to fill a whole page or more if she wants too. I have in the past googled "journal topics" but my girls never liked picking from them for some reason. They usually write about the stuff that happened the day before or what they will be doing over the weekend. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)