Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what age did you start kinder?

Posted by   + Show Post

i'm thinking of letting my son start kinder next year.  he won't turn 5 until the end of november.  he would miss the cut off date if he were going in to public school, so i've been on the fence about when to start.  he's very bright and i think he would do okay....how old were your kids when you started kinder?  has anyone started a 4 year old?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
gratefulgal
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I started ours at 4. He was really ready. If they are ready, go for it.

CJsMommy040506
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter will be 5 in July and we'll be starting K in August.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DesireMM
by Desire' on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I started my 3 kids when they were 6.

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are homeschooling then you can start when your child is ready (as long as you start by the age that your state says children have to be in school.) I see nothing wrong with a 4 year old doing Kindergarten material. I wish my parents would have homeschooled me and let me start college when I was 14-16.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I started my 4 1/2 in an accredited program in January.  She is doing very very well.  She is a tough cookie and will finish the program a few months ahead of schedule.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

We are doing "writing lite" kindergarten with my son next year - he will be 4 in May. So a full year early. We determined his placement based on the preschool material available - he already knows his letters, numbers, understands the basic concepts behind addition and subtraction, etc, so he essentially places out of most preschool material.

The only "preschool" material we will use is for religion. I am using phonics material that doesn't require much writing because he is very "age appropriate" in that area, although he appears "ahead" intellectually, kwim?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My twins are four years old they both are preschool/kindergarten and they both.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM

My daughter was the same way.  Her birthday is in October. We were planning on putting her in Public school so we actually waited the extra year for her to start.     My daughter is smart but she is also very hyper so I think the extra year really helped her.  She is doing very good and is flying through most of her work, especially phonics.   She is also doing good reading as well.   I believe by waiting that extra year, it really gave her a chance to mature.

MamaDearie
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My 4 1/2 y/o DD has been 'doing kindergarten' for a couple of months now and she can't get enough. I have to actually tell her she needs a break (to eat, to play, to use the bathroom -lol) because left to her own devices, she will just keep going. 

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersDaisypath Christmas tickersDaisypath Valentines tickers
Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I started mine @4. My dd is now 7 and doing fine. My soon-to-be 5yo is reading & his writing has gotten much better. He didn't have the dexterity when we first began, so I was never concerned about form or even size... Or if his numbers or letters were backwards. But now it's years beyond where he began just months ago. He does basic math by himself, he reads and spells (sometimes better than his sister!!), he knows how to tell time and we all work together on science.

I think 4 is perfect to start "organized" school. Before that it was play, color, then just recognizing letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc. I'll start my 3rd when she gets closer to 4. The whole point of homeschooling is to stay away from the way public schools work... If you begin @3, go for it. Don't pay attention to what the public schools are doing, just react to your child. Good luck to you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)