Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was going to introduce it in 3rd grade, but have been thinking about introducing it in the middle of 2nd grade. I was waiting till 3rd to make sure she was doing well with her manuscript. I think she could use a bit more practice but not all of 2nd grade. Thoughts?
If you are or have done cursive when did you introduce it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My daughter is in kindergarten and we started cursive after Christmas.  We use Abeka and I bought both the manuscript and cursive writing curriculum.  we did strictly manuscript before Christmas.  Now we do both cursive and manuscript daily.  That way she learns to write in both.

tmcris
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I introduced it to my 2nd grader son and 3rd grader daughter this year. I am using Handwriting Without Tears (they have several books so that you can provide additional practice if needed). I am going to use the 3rd grade and 4th grade version of it the next 2 years to provide additional practice. My 3rd grader is doing well with it, but will need review and my 2nd grader will definitely need another year of it (used it this year more as an introduction to him).
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

middle/end of second, but that was student led.  We did Handwriting without Tears, and now they are all in...(I have to go look it up)...

They are by Christian Liberty Press.

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I just had my 1st grader write the lowercase letters yesterday. She loved it, said it was fun. So I think I may continue making it fun, instead of full-on curriculum, and see how she does.
Anna92464
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I introduced it in 3rd grade and then dropped it because he hated it so much.  I realized that it was no longer needed and is actually being phased out of our culture.  Now he does printing and typing...

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My youngest started when she was in PS in second grade. I think I will introduce it to my youngest when she is in second grade also we'll see how she with it.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I agree with you. There are some schools not even teaching it at all and others that still are. When do you actually write in cursive? Only when I sign my name or write a note to my husband that's it. My 10 year old likes to write her name in cursive. My 6 year old wants to learn but I think it's to soon for her. I will try it in second grade and see how she does.
Quoting Anna92464:

I introduced it in 3rd grade and then dropped it because he hated it so much.  I realized that it was no longer needed and is actually being phased out of our culture.  Now he does printing and typing...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My 9 year old and my 6 year old are learning cursive.  I think it just depends on how your child responds that lets you know whether or not they are ready to learn at any age.  

Uniquecoolio
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

well the school never taught it to them in their 8 years there. so i'm not either. they type. who doesn't?

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Mine started in first grade using the Abeka handwriting books.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)