Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi everyone! I will begin homeschooling my daughter this Fall, and of course everyone brings up the socialization issue. Right now,  I run an in-home preschool. All of the kids are about the same age as my daughter, so socialization is not a problem at this point.  What I am fearing, is when these kids move on, and my daughter is here with me all day Mon-Fri.  Most of the homeschool groups around here meet on weekdays. I am hoping that I can get her involved in enough activities on evenings and weekends to make up for that. Any ideas? Is anyone else in a similar situation? 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (11-14):
babygrl92795
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Thanks everyone! We get out on weekends all the time. She goes to cooking class and gymnastics, birthday parties, etc. I just don't want my working at home to affect homeschooling in  a negative way. I am hoping to be able to quit daycare soon, and then I will be able to join up with the homeschool groups during the week. Until then, it is only weekend activities for us.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We have tons of church and neighborhood activities, and our kids help at the food bank and community center.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Did you know that when you go to the grocery store or the gas station that you are socializing?  Any place that we visit with our kids is a chance to learn socialization.  Our kids learn social skills from the adults in their life. Other children are not the ones who teach other children how to respect an adult or another human being. That is taught by an adult.  I don't think that children should have all the socialization that most people think they ought to have. I think some socialization is needed but not as much as is being taught now as the "norm".  So, you don't necessarily have to have your child join a bunch of sports or social activities just to make sure they get to "learn" how to be with other people.  As for the schooling aspect, there are several choices. You don't necessarily have to buy a curriculum. You can choose to make your own. I know there are several ladies here that do this and could help you if you wanted to go that route.    

Have you decided what you want your daughter to learn yet?  

maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Weekend activities are plenty! If you and DD want to do more during the week and that works with your schedule, great. If not, don't feel like you "should".

Quoting babygrl92795:

Thanks everyone! We get out on weekends all the time. She goes to cooking class and gymnastics, birthday parties, etc. I just don't want my working at home to affect homeschooling in  a negative way. I am hoping to be able to quit daycare soon, and then I will be able to join up with the homeschool groups during the week. Until then, it is only weekend activities for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)