Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring is Coming & This Might Just be Needed. (SCIENCE RELATED)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
BJ
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Full Flyer

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kttycat84
by Bonnie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for sharing. A friend and I found a baby bird in a parking lot once, right under her front tire. She hadn't run over it, it had just gotten there somehow. Anyway, we made a little nest for it and took it to the local wildlife center (this was in Michigan). They told us they'd gladly take the bird for a $50 donation. At 17, we didn't have that kind of money...we begged and pleaded until they finally agreed to take in the bird. It was a super-stressful day, lol.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That is terrible that they basically wanted you to pay them to take the animal they are supposedto care for as part of their jobs. I would have been POed & at 17 said some very not nice things to them in a very nasty teenagery way.

Quoting kttycat84:

Thanks for sharing. A friend and I found a baby bird in a parking lot once, right under her front tire. She hadn't run over it, it had just gotten there somehow. Anyway, we made a little nest for it and took it to the local wildlife center (this was in Michigan). They told us they'd gladly take the bird for a $50 donation. At 17, we didn't have that kind of money...we begged and pleaded until they finally agreed to take in the bird. It was a super-stressful day, lol.

RheaF
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the "animal" centers here are like that. You can't just turn in strays anymore, you have to pay to drop them off. The money does go toward the care of the animal though.

Quoting usmom3:

That is terrible that they basically wanted you to pay them to take the animal they are supposedto care for as part of their jobs. I would have been POed & at 17 said some very not nice things to them in a very nasty teenagery way.

Quoting kttycat84:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I have never had to take one in so I don't know if that is how it is here but I do know that they offer educational programs that they charge a small fee as a way to make money.

Quoting RheaF:

Most of the "animal" centers here are like that. You can't just turn in strays anymore, you have to pay to drop them off. The money does go toward the care of the animal though.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kttycat84:

RheaF
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We found a small kitten(around 3 weeks old) that was dumped along with his litter on the side of the road. Someone had found the rest of them, but missed this one(fliers were up). We went to take him to the local SPCA and they wanted $40 to drop him off. We called around and all the animal centers here were about the same. We ended up keeping him, and he is now our little Whiskey, and we love him. However, I know many who just leave the animals because they cannot afford to take them in to a center, and cannot have the animal themselves.

Quoting usmom3:

I have never had to take one in so I don't know if that is how it is here but I do know that they offer educational programs that they charge a small fee as a way to make money.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kttycat84:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I would have kept him too. That is how we got our dog, she was a puppy & had wandered up to our house my kids fell in love so we kept her. 

Quoting RheaF:

We found a small kitten(around 3 weeks old) that was dumped along with his litter on the side of the road. Someone had found the rest of them, but missed this one(fliers were up). We went to take him to the local SPCA and they wanted $40 to drop him off. We called around and all the animal centers here were about the same. We ended up keeping him, and he is now our little Whiskey, and we love him. However, I know many who just leave the animals because they cannot afford to take them in to a center, and cannot have the animal themselves.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kttycat84:

kttycat84
by Bonnie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I thought it was very unfair at the time too, but now that I'm older I kind of see their point. It costs money to rehab the animals that get brought in and the wildlife center didn't charge an admission or anything...just had a few donation boxes set up. They made most of their money from school field trips and I'm sure it was just enough to cover operating costs.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kttycat84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)