Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD9 gets allowance each week. She earns it. She's the biggest helper a mom could ask for. Goes above and beyond. She earns every penny.

She has saved about $120. She found a bright green locker (her fave color) for $120. I usually don't mind her spending her money however she wants, but this just seems silly. She usually splurges on clothes from Justice or American Girl stuff (which I don't usually buy unless it's a gift). She got a Kindle Fire last time. But a locker?? She's going to have to put one of her Barbie houses on her stage (she loves to sing/play guitar) in order to make room for this thing.

I've tried to convince her to buy something else but she won't budge.

What would your child do with $120?? Maybe I can give her some ideas.

Kids locker in green

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

What about saving it for a summer camp or girl scout camp?

Joann.HS
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I think it's cute and she earned her $.
But, a camp or art class etc is a good idea as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I personally don't see how it's a silly idea, especially because she wants it to store school stuff and other personal items, but that's just me. Like others have suggested, maybe she could save up to go to a camp this summer or a bike if she doesn't have one or needs a new one? Or she could buy some more books for her Kindle. And also like you said yourself, try to remember that she's not you and she has different feelings and ideas about practical purchases and what she likes in general.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM

With our guys, when they worked hard and saved up their money for a special item, we let them buy it as long as it isn't something immoral or dreadfully objectionable.  It's good for money management practice and learning what kinds of purchases seem as worthwhile and wise after the buy as they seemed beforehand.  I there is buyers remorse, then it helps make the child more cautious about future purchases. By letting the child buy whatever they have their savings accrued for, it is a reinforcement of the savings ethic too.  However, if you don't let her get what she has worked hard and saved for she will be less likely to feel like its worthwhile to save up for something again if she thinks it will be vetoed when she reaches her goal.   Those are just my thoughts for what they're worth.

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

Anna92464
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I don't think it's silly, and I'd let her buy it. 

amandae21
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I think my problem is that it's a rather expensive storage thingy and she has a perfectly good closet that she doesn't utilize. She also has an entertainment center with lots of shelves. I don't see it as very useful. I'm going to let her get it, because it's the right thing to do and it's her money, but I will still think it's excessive. I'm frugal to the bone lol.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

I personally don't see how it's a silly idea, especially because she wants it to store school stuff and other personal items, but that's just me. Like others have suggested, maybe she could save up to go to a camp this summer or a bike if she doesn't have one or needs a new one? Or she could buy some more books for her Kindle. And also like you said yourself, try to remember that she's not you and she has different feelings and ideas about practical purchases and what she likes in general.

amandae21
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

She has one of everything a girl could ask for. lol The only thing she doesn't really have is a newer gaming system (only has DSi Wii and iPod touch), and she doesn't play with those often.

Quoting mem82:

Does she have a bike?

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Why does she want a locker? Has she told you? I would go ahead and let her buy it since she's using her own money.  She may regret it, or she may feel it's absolutely worth it.  You never can tell.

superwoman0105
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I can relate to your child.  As a child I had a bright red locker just like that one.  It was great and I thought it was the coolest thing in my room.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM
My 10 year old would love it. She loves that color too. She likes to have little cubby holes and extra storage. Her closet has shelves with those fabric baskets and bins. If you really don't mind her getting it then let her get it. But you could also tell her that summer is coming and maybe she could check out summer stuff. We always get the butterfly kit and tadpoles. In the end it's really up to you even if it's her money.
Quoting amandae21:

She wants to put school stuff in it and probably things she doesn't want her little sister getting a hold of. I guess I just need to get it out of my head that she doesn't have to think the same way as me in terms of what's a wise purchase.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I think that is a good idea myself. Probably because my girls have everything already...ipod, laptop, there isn't anything left to buy them. What does she want to put in it? If it's just going to be storage and she has the room in her room or play room then I'd get it for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)