Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a teenager and a preschooler

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, My name is Michelle and I am a new member.  I am hoping to get some ideas for homeschooling.  My teenager will be a freshman next year, and my four year old will be starting Kindergarten.  The teenager fights Math on a daily basis, but does great in all other subjects. 

I hope to see some progress but some days are disappointing.  My preschooler loves school, and at this point I am not sure of which Kindergarten curriculum to purchase.   I want to make sure it is a well rounded curriculum.

I have a total of three children, and they are all boys.  Their ages are 14, 4, and 2.  My house is NEVER quiet.

Thanks

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Replies (11-13):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Math-U-See for your 14 yr old.   Go back a level or two and begin there.   Things that are simple can be skimmed through, things that need work can be learned, and then move into the high school level maths.   There is an instructional video on each lesson, teacher helps, and student helps.  Once the student is doing better, he can just watch the video and teach himself.

Science, if you are a Christian, then I recommend Apologia.  

I don't have any other high school suggestions yet.

For your wee ones??   I'd almost go with a preschool level on like time4learning.com or ABC mouse, or something.   Add in some preschool level writing, picking a letter, number, shape, etc... of each week and just have fun with it.    Pick up a few cheap preK workbooks, etc...  read a lot, watch library videos, read a ton more.... read more.. do crafts that go with the books, ask questions about what you read... etc... read more...   get involved in library preK events and other fun stuff.  

Consider if you have it in your funds to start music lessons of some kind, because music really develops the mind!  Get some books at the library with ideas on teaching preschoolers..... or look them up on line.   Do theme books and lapbooks with simple themes to teach letters.

Focus on patterns, fine motor control, (books if I didn't mention them yet), and start introducing that letters have sounds...  spend time on rhyming... syllables, etc..

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
For my 4 year old and 2 year i would go to dollar store
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momsarefrugal
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I really liked the advice.  My teen and I will look at that link tonight.  We are having a "cooperative" day so I like to spring on those. 

I love the ideas for my 2yrold and my 4 yr. old.  Curriculum is expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN