Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need help with1st grade reading curriculum...

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi!!! I have a 6 year old dd who has had a really hard time this year in reading. We started the year out using abeka but I think that it is moving too fast for her. I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering a new curriculum and starting 1st grade over with something that will go a little slower... Does anyone have any suggestions for a slow reader?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Reading is my expertise.  My children are grown, but I still tutor, and give home school workshops.  Because my method is so successful, three college professors now ask me to come to their classes to teach my method to their future teachers. Following are some websites to help  you and your daughter..

Ring Around The Phonics is language arts disguised as a game board. It comes with everything you need to teach reading including 14 early reader books.   Because it has static cling letters, it can be used to teach phonics, blending, vocabulary, spelling and more.  The children love the activity cards which teach comprehension and listening skills.  They particularly like crowning their character with the gold and blue ring of knowledge.  

Also be sure to look at the first video on the following link: It explains the most common obstacle for children learning to read:   Hear Phonic Sounds Free

oredeb
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

also all about reading is a good one!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I second All About Reading for a struggling reader. From what I understand, it moves too slowly for some children who are reading well, but works beautifully all the same.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My 7 year old loved Sing Spell Read and Write.  But we use Starfall and it helped them too.

energygirl
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

instead of buying a whole new curriculum...I wonder if it might help to just reinforce where they are at now (like if they can read short vowel sound books...do more of those from the library but then add some sight word flash cards or something?)  From what I have read, a lot of kids have a hard time reading...especially before age 8......but then catch up just fine later. 

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Hooked on Phonics works really well for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN