Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In need of a more honest pre-k curriculum.

Posted by   + Show Post
I have been looking at preschool curriculums. My problem has been the history sections. I want one that teaches a more honest account of history rather than pushing cute mythologies. For example I get irritated that they teach that Betsy Ross sewed the first american flag and that Paul Revere made that journey. Neither of these are facts. Can anyone suggest a better history curriculum?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Replies (11-12):
Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

My ex husband was a drum teacher. He was very good with teaching children. His theory was that if you just stick to the basics in the beginning then the children would get bored and drift. He would use actual songs to teach the basics. It is why he ended up with all the young students and had a higher rate of success. He made it fun and interesting for them. I know DS needs to learn the basics but I want to do it through interesting literature and history.

I already use netflix. DS loves anything to do with dinosaurs, cars, and space. We have been watching one National Geographic special a day when we cuddle in the morning :)

I will definately take a closer look at your suggestions. Thank you!

Quoting hipmomto3:

We use Sonlight & its very history & anthropology heavy.

Ones I'd suggest are Usborne Time Traveler, World History, and Peoples of the World.

We use documentaries to supplement our reading. There are a lot on Netflix. My kids like learning about one area & studying it exclusively for a time.

I know PS always starts with 'me & my community' for prek & K. I disagree with that; it dumbs down what is a fascinating area for young children. My kids loved learning about ancient Egypt & China in K.

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

We are already doing that. He loves watching the National Geographic specials on Netflix. We have also gotten some books on the Dinosaurs, space, and cars.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

History is hard for preK. I would recommend a year of "prehistory" - dinosaurs, ancient creatures, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)