Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In need of a more honest pre-k curriculum.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have been looking at preschool curriculums. My problem has been the history sections. I want one that teaches a more honest account of history rather than pushing cute mythologies. For example I get irritated that they teach that Betsy Ross sewed the first american flag and that Paul Revere made that journey. Neither of these are facts. Can anyone suggest a better history curriculum?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
We use the History of the World books. Love them.
Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Can you be a bit more specific? There are several with that name..lol.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Frick it's Story of the Works by Susan Wise Bauer. Sorry.

Quoting Kaya529:

Can you be a bit more specific? There are several with that name..lol.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Good suggestion, but is it really good for pre k? I'm not sure you really need a history program so young. Mostly at this age you want to focus on community and family. Such things like trips to the fire dpt and talking about traditions and holidays. More of an age appropriate social study.
Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I wasn't that impressed with the above suggestion. She seems to be a good writer but presents things like the Exodus as historical fact and blows off the fact that there is no evidence to support the story. Even though I am a secular homeschooler I do not mind teaching abot religion since it has had a huge impact on history but I would rather focus on what we have evidence for rather than presenting the bible as a complete work of non fiction.

I do plan on working on community helpers and family but many of the curriculums also talked about cute stories from history for children. I found a bunch of historical board books for children last night. For instance I could use the one about Benjamin Franklin and talk about how we use electricity in our everyday lives. There was also one about the Star Spangled Banner. Since we live near Baltimore I am going to take him to Fort McHenry to talk about and work on learning the song. Another good one is to talk about how many of our founding  fathers were homescholed. This would help DS connect with them.

I think I will just have to piece together my own history lessons and use the curriculums that I found for the other subjects.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Good suggestion, but is it really good for pre k? I'm not sure you really need a history program so young. Mostly at this age you want to focus on community and family. Such things like trips to the fire dpt and talking about traditions and holidays. More of an age appropriate social study.

lucsch
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Use the library for picture books. That way, you can pre-read them for content.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I like the pbs movies Liberty Kids (or some title close to that.)
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
We use Sonlight & its very history & anthropology heavy.

Ones I'd suggest are Usborne Time Traveler, World History, and Peoples of the World.

We use documentaries to supplement our reading. There are a lot on Netflix. My kids like learning about one area & studying it exclusively for a time.

I know PS always starts with 'me & my community' for prek & K. I disagree with that; it dumbs down what is a fascinating area for young children. My kids loved learning about ancient Egypt & China in K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

History is hard for preK. I would recommend a year of "prehistory" - dinosaurs, ancient creatures, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I have only had a chance to glance it over but it seems like it could work. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Quoting mem82:

I like the pbs movies Liberty Kids (or some title close to that.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)