Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling and autism?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 17 Replies
For those of you who home school your child with autism how do you structure your day/school day?

We are failing getting work done. My dd fights every second.of every day?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
occumommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Bumping because i have the same question
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM
What are you having struggles with?

It's so hard bc I want her to succeed ( and academically she is ahead) but I can't handle the constant fighting. It is physically draining and brings on more migraines.

There has to be a better way? Hopefully.

Quoting occumommy:

Bumping because i have the same question

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Well how about from a students point of view.

I was homeschooled for a while and I have autism.

My mom tried doing structure but I wouldn't go for it. I wanted it my way. She ended up putting the books on the table with a check list. I liked lists. I would cross off each thing I got done. I loved that. I soon picked my own books, subjects, trips, etc. I have to have control. I have to have goals for the day / week / month / year. I did amazingly well.

My son is four and autistic. I will give him what he needs in his schooling. Right now he learns best through videos. Yeah its horrible to some. But he speaks three languages, can read, knows so much, and inspires me each day. He also choses a lot on his own even now.

The biggest thing is for both of us: don't limit us. Too much structure stops us from learning. When I was doing it on my own I did so much more. Unbelievably more. So does Patrick.
LongBeachLiz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
We give her a list. Each book and what pages need to be done (each page number is listed so she can x it out) plus work packet that's fun. She get mon-friday to do it. She waits until wed or Thursday and screams at us it's too much and she can't do it. When she sits down and actually does it she flies through it!! She is lazy (and I'm not just talking about school work. Just a general life thing).

I thought maybe with more structure we could have less fighting?

She lost going to the aquarium tomorrow bc she refused to do her work :( it sucks!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My mom tried doing structure but I wouldn't go for it. I wanted it my way. She ended up putting the books on the table with a check list. I liked lists. I would cross off each thing I got done. I loved that. I soon picked my own books, subjects, trips, etc. I have to have control. I have to have goals for the day / week / month / year. I did amazingly well.

My son is four and autistic. I will give him what he needs in his schooling. Right now he learns best through videos. Yeah its horrible to some. But he speaks three languages, can read, knows so much, and inspires me each day. He also choses a lot on his own even now.

The biggest thing is for both of us: don't limit us. Too much structure stops us from learning. When I was doing it on my own I did so much more. Unbelievably more. So does Patrick.

LongBeachLiz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM
She just doesn't want to do it. She most definitely can. She tested in 4th grade reading and comp like 6 months ago (she's 3rd grade) and we got her outside help for math so now she's at 4 1/2-5th grade math.

We go so many places. I love museums and the aquarium. So.it's not all work and no play.

We were recently sick so we had like a 2 week break. Maybe bored but she won't even do work she is interested in. Nor will she work so that she can do somethig fun on the weekend.
Our only rule really is to have the work done by Friday evening (and yes we sir and work with her). If not then no weekend.

Quoting RockEducation:

Why is she fighting with you every day to do her work? I mean, do you think she is bored or needs a break? My DD has a mild case of Aspergers.

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Maybe you can change some things to better suit her. My oldest hates worksheets and until this year (2 years after starting to homeschool), hated writing, it is still a big issue but not as bad since I was able to just "let it go" and back off.  We do some computer work online but not daily and I am going to start on living books for math soon because he isn't liking the workbooks/worksheets.  Good luck, I hope you can find a resolution because I know what that situation is like.

A_McCool
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm.... It could be that it is too much to give her all at once.  If someone were to give me a list of everything for the entire week, I would look at it freak out and avoid it until the last possible minute (and I mean today right this minute not as a child).  I have a hard time starting things and a task with multiple parts seems so daunting that I just avoid until it can no longer be avoided.  In fact, my husband still has to coach me through large cleaning projects because I just cannot coordinate how to start or what steps to follow very well, and I get frustrated easily.

Maybe break it down in to smaller parts, perhaps, one or two days worth of work instead of the entire week at once.

Some people need a bit more freedom.  I need rigidity; I need structure, and I need everything planned out in great detail (usually I'm the one doing the planning, but I have to plan out every little detail for myself and it takes me a while to coordinate it).  If I don't have those things, I don't function well at all.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

We give her a list. Each book and what pages need to be done (each page number is listed so she can x it out) plus work packet that's fun. She get mon-friday to do it. She waits until wed or Thursday and screams at us it's too much and she can't do it. When she sits down and actually does it she flies through it!! She is lazy (and I'm not just talking about school work. Just a general life thing).

She lost going to the aquarium tomorrow bc she refused to do her work :( it sucks!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I home school. My diagnosed autistic child is 3. My 9 year old has autism-like tendencies, but I am not sure if she is truly autistic or even aspergers. My second daughter is 5, and is being evaluated for autism and aft the very least has severe ADHD. I set up work boxes. I put what they have to do in 10 separate boxes. After every 3 boxes they get a 5 minute break. I set a timer. With my 5 year old, I also use a token board system with her much like what my 3 year old's aba therapist uses with her. A lot of days it is still a struggle, but it works well. Also having a curriculum that supports their learning style and hold their interest helps a lot.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Does this type of learning work best for her? Can you try a different method for a week? I did great with books but one of my kids does books and videos. She retains more with her videos.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My kiddos don't have Autism, but a host of other learning issues.  We ended up having daily check sheets.  For each day, they had a list of the work (pages) to be covered that day.  When they were done with the assigned work, they could play and/or we could go do something.  We did go through phases where it would take alllllllllll day long to get the work done, and it carried over to the next day and,if needed, into the weekend.  That turned out to be valuable training for when my guys started hitting college work (joint enrollment) because it doesn't matter if it's the weekend--if you've got work to do.. You've got work to do.

In any case, sounds like the majority of us found some sort of checklist system worked.  Not sure in what way yours might be able to be changed a bit to better suit your DD, but hopefully everybody's input will help you find a good solution.  Battling over the schoolwork is NO FUN!

OH.. AND that just made me think.. I don't know what your DD LOVES, but with one son--he loved Blow Pops, so we had a vase with blowpops in the center of our table.. If he finished his school work without tantruming for the day, he got a blowpop at the end of that day.  It was an easier to manage, short-term reward for work.  Other DS loves video games.. He was allowed to play them if he finished his work.  It was a reward system that was needed in the short term to get us into a rhythm for the long-term. 

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN