Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Test Anxiety

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
Good morning, I have a problem with my dd. Tomorrow she is getting an assessment I tested how fast she is reading when she knew she was being tested by me, she read 84 words correct per minute. Then when she didn't know, and she read 116 words correct per minute. Now honestly I am nervous over the assessment also. I live in Rhode Island, for a child to be homeschooled the school district has to approve. I am very nervous for her. The lady that will be testing her said they just want to see if she may need any help in any areas. I am just scared they won't approve it, and she will have to go back to school. Thanks for the help.
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

An assessment does not necessarily mean a test.  There are certified teachers, who are home educators, and provide assessments for other home educators. 

I would never use just any teacher, because some of them are anti homeschooling.  You can check with Rhode Island Home School Support Groups to see who they recommend. 

Joann.HS
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Good advice above.
Try and relax...she may pick up on your nervousness.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I imagine she only has to pass. They can't expect more from a homeschooler than they do for regular kids. 8)

oredeb
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

let us know how it goes

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would suggest NOT referring to it as a "test", but rather I'd tell her that the lady wants to see how well she reads... I wouldn't let your DD know of the ramifications for the testing, but rather keep it on as casual of a level as possible... "The school just wants to see how much you can do."  That puts it more in a "show off" light than a testing light.  It can be a subtle, but important difference, although depending upon the child's astuteness, she might see it as a test anyway!  GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it went.

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)