Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Old Earth, Young Minds: Evengelical Homeschoolers Embrace Evolution

An article I found that talks about science education for Christians who are not proponents of a "young earth."

homeschool-top.jpg Jen Baird Seurkamp, a Kentucky evangelical who homeschools her children, avoids textbooks that discredit evolution. (Kate Mitchell Hisey)

For homeschooling parents who want to teach their children that the earth is only a few thousand years old, the theory of evolution is a lie, and dinosaurs coexisted with humans, there is no shortage of materials. Kids can start with the Answers in Genesis curriculum, which features books such as Dinosaurs of Eden, written by Creation Museum founder Ken Ham. As the publisher's description states, "This exciting book for the entire family uses the Bible as a 'time machine' to journey through the events of the past and future."

It's no secret that the majority of homeschooled children in America belong to evangelical Christian families. What's less known is that a growing number of their parents are dismayed by these textbooks.

Take Erinn Cameron Warton, an evangelical Christian who homeschools her children. Warton, a scientist, says she was horrified when she opened a homeschool science textbook and found a picture of Adam and Eve putting a saddle on a dinosaur. "I nearly choked," says the mother of three.

For the rest of the article CLICK HERE.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
.Lovemythree.
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM
In not a Catholic Christian, but this is what I believe too.
And there is a difference between scientific theory and theory in the everyday sense.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Christians aren't "selling out". A priest proposed the big bang theory! For as long as *I* can remember, Catholics have been theistic evolutionists. We do "believe" in evolution - we just believe it was set in motion by God.

Quoting gratefulgal:

OKay, so I might come across as a bit naive here, BUT: is there anyway that there could be an old earth creationism WITHOUT evolution? Say "dinosaurs were millions of years ago" but that humans came later, but NOt as cavemen, but as just regular people? Is that totally unbelievable or what? I'm not trying to talk trash, but I really don't know what the traditional Christian belief is nowadays. I've been asking this question for years. One that does not include evolution but that IS scientifically sound. I mean evolution is a theory, not a fact, and should be presented as a "side" of the argument, not the only way. Kinda seems like Christians are selling out on the evolution debate. Any ideas or knowledge about this? Again, NOT trying to offend, just genuinely curious. Thanks!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I'm United Methodist and hubby is Lutheran, and this is what we believe as well.

Quoting .Lovemythree.:

In not a Catholic Christian, but this is what I believe too.
And there is a difference between scientific theory and theory in the everyday sense.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Christians aren't "selling out". A priest proposed the big bang theory! For as long as *I* can remember, Catholics have been theistic evolutionists. We do "believe" in evolution - we just believe it was set in motion by God.

Quoting gratefulgal:

OKay, so I might come across as a bit naive here, BUT: is there anyway that there could be an old earth creationism WITHOUT evolution? Say "dinosaurs were millions of years ago" but that humans came later, but NOt as cavemen, but as just regular people? Is that totally unbelievable or what? I'm not trying to talk trash, but I really don't know what the traditional Christian belief is nowadays. I've been asking this question for years. One that does not include evolution but that IS scientifically sound. I mean evolution is a theory, not a fact, and should be presented as a "side" of the argument, not the only way. Kinda seems like Christians are selling out on the evolution debate. Any ideas or knowledge about this? Again, NOT trying to offend, just genuinely curious. Thanks!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
A SADDLE ON A DINOSAUR.

Wow. I never fathomed that's what people believe. Wow.

We consider ourselves Christian. DH was raised Catholic, and is now a member of the Methodist church. I was raised in a non-denominational church with evangelical leanings (revivals and the whole nine), but the Young Earth concept is just incredible to me. I can't believe that any more than I believe I am directly descended from a monkey. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I have what I consider to be a firm faith in God.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
As a non-evangelical Christian, it's nice to know there are others out there. I do get tired of the homeschooling community consisting mostly of a certain 'type' of family in general, and a scientific belief system in particular. Good to know there are others out there like me. :) We teach our children the earth was created, but in 7 creative periods, not literal 24 hour days. Dinosaurs were a part of an early creative period, prior to humans. Evolution in that humans (& others) look different now than they did originally (love the Popular Mechanics article that Jesus was most likely less than 5 ft tall & weighed 100 pounds!). So, it is hard to find texts that correspond to our beliefs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katinahat
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

As a devout Christian with a degree in astronomy, I believe in Old Earth Creationism. The Bible has said that 1,000 years is like a day to God's eyes. I think that Moses described what God was showing and telling him the best that he could, but he couldn't fully conceptualize God's Creation process. I believe that science is just how God works-- he made atomic structures, he created our solar system via the nebular theory, he created precipitates in chemical reactions. God created those relationships and reactions! I wholeheartedly believe in evolution, because I believe that that is how God created us.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

katinahat
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Uh, selling out? As a Christian scientist, I'm kind of offended by that statement. Maybe we're just finding a marriage between faith and science? I don't think that a belief in God and a belief in scientific evidence are mutually exclusive. In fact, the more that I learn, the more it reinforces my belief in God and His vast creativity and power.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I believe a thousand years to man is like a day to God (Psalms 90:4), which could play right along with evolution, which is what we teach our children.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My husband would say the same.

Quoting katinahat:

Uh, selling out? As a Christian scientist, I'm kind of offended by that statement. Maybe we're just finding a marriage between faith and science? I don't think that a belief in God and a belief in scientific evidence are mutually exclusive. In fact, the more that I learn, the more it reinforces my belief in God and His vast creativity and power.

Quoting gratefulgal:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

gratefulgal
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Just like you said, God is vastly creative and powerful, so why is it so unbelievable that he could/would create humans unique from the rest of the world. Even if a day if like a thousand years, couldn't God have created humans separately, just later. I also do not believe that people "rode" dinosaurs, and I am inclined to believe that the Earth is old. But I find it most disturbing that a science born out of taking God completely out of it would prove to be the absolute only answer. The bible also says that Man was created in the image of God. So why would we evolve from apes?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I guess I'm a little confused about what you are asking.

1. Is it so unbelieveable that he could/would create humans uniquely?

2.You believe in Old Earth but you're angry it's considered the only viable option.

3. Why would we evolve from apes?

LOL Is this what you are asking?

Quoting gratefulgal:

Just like you said, God is vastly creative and powerful, so why is it so unbelievable that he could/would create humans unique from the rest of the world. Even if a day if like a thousand years, couldn't God have created humans separately, just later. I also do not believe that people "rode" dinosaurs, and I am inclined to believe that the Earth is old. But I find it most disturbing that a science born out of taking God completely out of it would prove to be the absolute only answer. The bible also says that Man was created in the image of God. So why would we evolve from apes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)