Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old Earth, Young Minds: Evengelical Homeschoolers Embrace Evolution

An article I found that talks about science education for Christians who are not proponents of a "young earth."

homeschool-top.jpg Jen Baird Seurkamp, a Kentucky evangelical who homeschools her children, avoids textbooks that discredit evolution. (Kate Mitchell Hisey)

For homeschooling parents who want to teach their children that the earth is only a few thousand years old, the theory of evolution is a lie, and dinosaurs coexisted with humans, there is no shortage of materials. Kids can start with the Answers in Genesis curriculum, which features books such as Dinosaurs of Eden, written by Creation Museum founder Ken Ham. As the publisher's description states, "This exciting book for the entire family uses the Bible as a 'time machine' to journey through the events of the past and future."

It's no secret that the majority of homeschooled children in America belong to evangelical Christian families. What's less known is that a growing number of their parents are dismayed by these textbooks.

Take Erinn Cameron Warton, an evangelical Christian who homeschools her children. Warton, a scientist, says she was horrified when she opened a homeschool science textbook and found a picture of Adam and Eve putting a saddle on a dinosaur. "I nearly choked," says the mother of three.

For the rest of the article CLICK HERE.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
katinahat
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Scientific evidence and the discovery of human history support human evolution. Cro-magnon cave paintings, ancient civilizations that date back to before the Biblical era, and the hominid fossils discovered by the Leakey family (among others) show that there is more evidence for human evolution than there is for us to have instantaneously appeared. That said, it is entirely possible that God created us separately a while back, after the world had been going for 4.5 billion years, I just think that it is improbable. Everyone has to do their own research and come to their own decision.

Let me ask you something. If a potter puts a lump of clay onto a wheel and slowly fashions it with his hands, until it becomes an elegant vase-- did the potter create the vase? It had to go through a formation process, guided by his hands, so I would say that he created it. But would you only say that he created it if he snapped his fingers and it appeared, ready-made? I believe that even if we started out as a lump of clay and God's hands formed us over tens of thousands of millenia, He still created us. God was never taken out of the equation-- we're just learning more about His method of creation.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Just like you said, God is vastly creative and powerful, so why is it so unbelievable that he could/would create humans unique from the rest of the world. Even if a day if like a thousand years, couldn't God have created humans separately, just later. I also do not believe that people "rode" dinosaurs, and I am inclined to believe that the Earth is old. But I find it most disturbing that a science born out of taking God completely out of it would prove to be the absolute only answer. The bible also says that Man was created in the image of God. So why would we evolve from apes?

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Question: what is old earth creationism and what is young earth creationism? At least the basic concept of each?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah. Best post ever.

Quoting katinahat:

Scientific evidence and the discovery of human history supports human evolution. Cro-magnon cave paintings, ancient civilizations that date back to before the Biblical era, and hominid fossils by the Leakey family show that there is more evidence for human evolution than there is for us to have instantaneously appeared. That said, it is entirely possible that God created us separately a while back, after the world had been going for 4.5 billion years, I just think that it is improbable. Everyone has to do their own research and come to their own decision.

Let me ask you something. If a potter puts a lump of clay onto a wheel and slowly fashions it with his hands, until it becomes an elegant vase-- did the potter create the vase? It had to go through a formation process, guided by his hands, so I would say that he created it. But would you only say that he created it if he snapped his fingers and it appeared, ready-made? I believe that even if we started out as a lump of clay and God's hands formed us over tends of thousands of millenia, He still created us. God was never taken out of the equation-- we're just learning more about His method of creation.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Just like you said, God is vastly creative and powerful, so why is it so unbelievable that he could/would create humans unique from the rest of the world. Even if a day if like a thousand years, couldn't God have created humans separately, just later. I also do not believe that people "rode" dinosaurs, and I am inclined to believe that the Earth is old. But I find it most disturbing that a science born out of taking God completely out of it would prove to be the absolute only answer. The bible also says that Man was created in the image of God. So why would we evolve from apes?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

katinahat
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Old Earth creationism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Earth_creationism
Young Earth creationism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism

:) 

Quoting Dawn07:

Question: what is old earth creationism and what is young earth creationism? At least the basic concept of each?

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

gratefulgal
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm asking why Christians would find it so impossible that God would create a unique human being  (as opposed to a human having to come from an ape). I'm not angry about anything, and I believe that if anybody actually knew what happened we wouldn't have to rely on theories. I also believe that the bible has changed and has many interpretations, but it does not say anything about a transformation from one creature to another. Evolution says we did not start as humans created in God's image, but something less than what we are, that does not resemble God, but rather an animal. The only thing that changes from a secular belief and a christian belief is that "God started it"? Really? Is the reast of the bible so easily passed off as well? Where is the line drawn? No Noah's ark? No tower of babel and separating of languages? No Jesus or salvation? I don't get how we can pick and choose which parts of the bible to believe.

Quoting mem82:

I guess I'm a little confused about what you are asking.

1. Is it so unbelieveable that he could/would create humans uniquely?

2.You believe in Old Earth but you're angry it's considered the only viable option.

3. Why would we evolve from apes?

LOL Is this what you are asking?

Quoting gratefulgal:

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually, there's plenty of evidence that a flood did occur as described in Noah's story. It devastated a huge area of what's now known as the Middle East, but it wasn't literally global. You can find records of a similar event - including a Noah figure - in all the mythology of the area from Persia to India, but not in, say, Australia or South America. So the Bible is accurate insofar as it records the flood covering the world that was known to the Israelites at the time, but not as we've come to know the world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Old Earth = The planet is millions and millions of years old as per Scientist using carbon dating

Young Earth= The Earth is only 7,000 years old created in 6 24 hour periods as per Genesis.

LOL That's the Cliffnotes version.

Quoting Dawn07:

redhead-bedhead
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM

rolling on floor@ Adam and Eve saddling a dinosaur.

I just had a hilarious mental picture.

easter eggBlessed Ostarawelcome spring.gif

gratefulgal
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

which is what I'm saying. If you believe in evolution, it also takes other things out of the bible, such as Adam and Eve and other stories. Christians are choosing to believe in a changed bible, one that fits what everyone else thinks.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Actually, there's plenty of evidence that a flood did occur as described in Noah's story. It devastated a huge area of what's now known as the Middle East, but it wasn't literally global. You can find records of a similar event - including a Noah figure - in all the mythology of the area from Persia to India, but not in, say, Australia or South America. So the Bible is accurate insofar as it records the flood covering the world that was known to the Israelites at the time, but not as we've come to know the world.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

How does changing the idea that the stories that some believe are literal into figurative stories that teach us a lesson... how does that change the message?  It does no change God's love for me. It does not change Grace.  The Bible hasn't changed in  my lifetime, but my understanding of it has.

Quoting gratefulgal:

which is what I'm saying. If you believe in evolution, it also takes other things out of the bible, such as Adam and Eve and other stories. Christians are choosing to believe in a changed bible, one that fits what everyone else thinks.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)