Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Homeschool Calendar

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
New Homeschool Calendar

So I have finally decided to create a new homeschool calendar to better suit me and my family. We have decided to do our version of year round schooling. I actually believe it will be easier and more effective.

Here is my plan:

School year will run August through June.
We will have school lessons for four weeks then one week off.
Christmas break will be two weeks.
Summer break with be the entire month of June.

This will give me approximately 188 days.

Has anyone else done this type of school calendar/schedule? What were the pros and cons? Any tips/tricks? We are excited.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I know a lot of people do it that way or similar. Here's a BUMP!

Jortess
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We do it that way as well......

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You just have to find what works for you.  If you try something and it doesn't work then tweak it to fit and try again.  I wish you luck!!!  We will be starting in January and running through September....so our entire year will be in the same year.  LOL  We are going to start this in 2014.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

April=month off

May2-June2school

July8-July31

August19-August24

September1-November20

November22December24

December26-December31

January2-27

January29February28

March1-18

Final March19-March23=Final

March26-30spring break

April spring cleaning

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM
We are starting in June. For June and July we will do 2 weeks on 1week off. Then from August to may its 4 weeks on 1 week off. Week off at thanksgiving, week off at Christmas then various days (birthdays, stuff already planned days etc)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I think year round is the better way to go.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we do it this way. 

We started in late August (didn't know we were going to homeschool until June, so it took me that long to get everything together).  We took one week off every 4 to 5 weeks.  We took off 3 weeks for Christmas break.  The problem that I ran into is that we won't finish until end of June since we had to take off a few extra weeks due to sickness or other things going on.  My boys also play baseball during nearly the entire month of June so I really need them to be finished since baseball takes up so much time.

So, we decided to add Saturdays for nearly the rest of the year.  I gave them the option of doubling up on one subject per day so they don't actually have to do much on Saturday.

Next year we are going to start early August or late July and would finish in early May (if we are able to follow the schedule).  That way if there is a day that we just need a break (besides the weekly breaks) or someone is sick, or we have something to do and we can't take schoolwork with us, then we will have a few extra weeks to play with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)