Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool during summer- math and French

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter is currently in 2nd grade and the assesment I did online showed her at a 4th grade level for reading and comprehension, but a 2nd grade level for math and having not mastered all the skills for the 2nd grade level.  I know she struggles in math compared to reading and would like to get her to a 3rd grade level before she starts school next year.  Her school also does not give a forign language option till high school I believe, which is completely counterproductive to becoming fluent in any language.  She has expressed an interest in learning french.

I would like to work with her in becoming better at math and getting a good start on learning French (which I do not know at all) but cannot afford a large price for a specialty programs not to mention she will spend a majority of her day in daycare while I am at work and already does an hour of reading each night.  I do not want to burn her out, but want to give her the help she needs and an advantage of actually becoming fluent in a foriegn language by high school.

Any suggestions as I am new to this...

Thanks

Diane

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I really wouldn't worry about her grade level.  I would focus on making math more interesting.  I highly recommend life of fred especially if she loves reading.  I would also work on logic puzzles.  Math is very logical.  I also highly recommend learning to play chess.  Chess playing is really helpful for encouraging math.  Try to get her to play with math as much as possible.  Does she like buiding and putting things to gether.  K'nex has a math and geometry set that I want to get for my sons.  Do hands on math games and activities and help to see that math is all around her.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Look up math u see.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM

getting some "learn to speak french" books and videos from the library. its free and a great place to start. the younger you are when you begin to learn a language the easier it is and the more you retain. my parents put me in spanish immersion school in kindergarten and they only spoke to us in spanish for all of kindergarten. the incorporated english as we got older. because of it i was able to take 13yrs of spanish and was able to spend two weeks as an exchange student in mexico with my mom when was only in 5th grade. she was very involved in the PTA and i remember her learning spanish with just simple worksheets and those kind of library books. im sure theres even language dvds for kids out there that aren't too expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN