Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

new here

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

i am new to this site and have been looking for like minded moms for a while now. i have been thnking alot about home schooling my daughter for the past 6 months. the big issue i'm coming across is push back from my ex. he thinks it'll make our daughter weird or lacking in social skills. i know a few people who are very well adjusted and they were home schooled. i need help getting it started now while she's 3 and figure out how to do it and make my arguement for homeschooling. 

i look forward to making new friends for myselfand my daughter. i live in dover, de. anyone with advice i would love to hear from you. 

thanks kerrin

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Welcome!  It seems like socialization is the argument I hear most often- even a teenager I was talking to about our kids homeschooling used that argument- but it just simply doesn't hold water as long as you make an effort to have your kids involved with other kids.  You can do that at the library with many free programs, in a co-op, sports, church- there are a ton of options!  I'd recommend putting together a 'socialization' game plan to show how you plan to make sure you guys are involved in things outside the home and see how that goes over.  A lot of times, I think homeschool kids have more 'social interaction' with kids then most.  School isn't really about socialization, IMO.  They really are not even supposed to talk other then a 30 minute lunch and a few short recess times.  ;)

thistlemoon69
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

that is true and thanks for the idea. i think i will take it and make a whole program adn start iniating it when we drp daycare and i get to stay at home:) i figure i'll begin with teh preschool home schooling while putting together a whole term paper lol an it. i agree school should not be for socialization and for learning. however we know that it's more a fashion show and who's who. honestly i'd rather school at home adn get involved with like minded groups adn activities to be the one who teaches my kids how to treat others with respect and caring. i've watched alot kids and how they behave and speak t even their own parents these days and i would honestly rather my kids not be in a classroom learning to treat people like that. you know? th stories that my friends son who is 16 tells me about school from watching kids in the grocery store or out with their arents is crazy to me. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Do mommy and me playdates with other kids.  If you find a co-op then you can show how you plan to join them.  At 3 we do lots of arts and crafts and fun learning games.  My 2.5 year old gets worksheets, but she scribbles on them.  She wants them because her siblings have worksheets and school work so she wants them too.  My son just turned 4 last month and is able to do some worksheets correctly, again because he wants to, but I dont expect them to be perfect.  They love painting and going on nature walks.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Welcome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Welcome to the group, finding homeschool groups that have field trips & play dates would cover any & all socialization needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Welcome Kerrin.  Men usually like the logical approach.  So show him articles like the following. 

Socialization? No Problem

The Definition Of Socialization (I will surprise you)

thistlemoon69
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Wow thank you so much romacox:)
thistlemoon69
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Anyone have any advice on curriculums for preschool age kids?
oredeb
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

welcome kerrin!!

at your daughters age you dont even need a curr!! read to her, play with her, teach her songs, let her help you cook, go on nature walks together pointing out interesting stuff, do lots of arts and crafts with her, dance, jump, run!! have fun together! they learn so much from that in the early years! teach her to count with objects, like m and ms, sock, rocks, birds, etc

you can put the abcs and numbers on the wall in your home and make games up with them, shes to young for formal schooling, but just right for learning through play! have fun!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Welcome! Divorce can make homeschooling tricky!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)