Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much do you unschool vs homeschool?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM
  • 22 Replies

I know that most people aren't 100% homeschoolers or unschoolers. I'm curious how you think you fall on the educational philsophy of unschooling. Are you child-led on certain days, in certain subjects or are you a traditional homeschool family? 

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM
3 moms liked this

We have sit at the table classes for Math and language arts/phonics.  They are usually the first 2-3 hours of the day.  After that, we have set hours where they are able to use the educational internet pages, educational games on their tablets, play on their Leapster, read, look through magazines, ask questions, watch documentaries on netflix, color, draw, use the older workbooks, play the exercise games on the wii, etc.  They come up with all kinds of fun things to do and learn about.  They often have enough questions to create a well rounded science and history curriculum, and enough ideas to make a well rounded art and music curriculum.  So I guess we are traditional when it comes to math and language arts and "unschooling" for science, history, art and music.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We traditionally homeschool 100%; as in, we use curriculum pieces for all subjects and all subjects must be completed within a certain timeframe, and with specific assignments.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

We lean more toward Unschooling, but that is mainly because my daughter is a "kindergartner". She doesn't have the patience to sit still and do traditional work right now.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

We unschool for DD's world history and art and homeschool for pretty much everything else.  DS is pretty much traditionally homeschooled 100% of the time. Choices aren't good for him.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

For foundational skills of reading, writing, and math, we have always been very traditional.. I feel those are essential skills for any child.  Science and Social Studies were much more exploratory in nature when my guys were younger, but as they hit the upper grades, we became traditional in all subjects.  My boys have done joint enrollment for their junior and senior years of high school and that, of course, is totally traditional. ;-)

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It's maybe 50/50%

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I would say we lean more towards traditional. We follow a pretty set schedule. Anything else is supplemental.

RockEducation
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We have structured school for math, lang. arts, science, history, geography, etc. But kids are such sponges and take in so much information, it seems like there is always quite a bit of "unschooling" going on.

wowguildmomma
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

right now we are in a unschooling phase cause the bigger focus for us is learning to organize and keep our rooms picked up. but with that we let oldest draw up a floor plan of how he wanted his room set up, measurements on how much water we need for the steam cleaner and detergent, lessons on why we should give away our old toys so that we can get new ones.... stuff like that

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We 100% unschool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)